light for church wedding..PLZ

geraint_hughes

<p>I've also nothing to add from an equipment perspective, but two comments from a member's perspective:</p>

<p>> we're human and it's often too easy to fire a misguided volley at the wrong target and all for the wrong reasons, but a Professional recognizes that error quite quickly and is neither backward in the public acknowledgement of it, nor the apology for it.</p>

<p>> A Professional given a position of Authority within their Collegiate always distinguishes between their role as a Member of that Collegiate and the Governance of it.</p>

<p>In this thread we have seen examples of both, as well as a range of bloody good ideas to address the question asked.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>If I was shooting my first wedding I would bring the tamron 17 - 50 2.8 on the 50D body with 550EX speedlite mounted on a flash bracket that keeps the flash over the lens at all times. Marc's recommendation for the tripod is good when used from the back of the church. If you are allowed flash and shooting the procession shots from inside the church you need to be quick and flexible and hand-hold to be discrete (I shoot from the front of the church so as to not block the guests viewing during the processional). All the other stuff I would lock in the car. If you use an assistant they could carry your backup outfit. Many potentially useful ideas have been presented to you but you should grow into them gradually. Fast lenses have their place but your client is not going to appreciate soft or out of focus images. The entrance examples I am enclosing were shot at iso 800, f5.6, 1/60 sec, Vivitar 283 manual flash(non-bounce) on 1/8 power. The lighting is flat and not much ambient light recorded, but the expressions were captured clearly with catch-lights in the eyes. Your bride will appreciate the existing light shots during the ceremony without flash for the natural look. Churches that don't allow flash inside the church will usually allow it in the foyer---just remember that there is no excuse for not having a photo of the bride on her dad's arm just before she goes down the aisle, or down the aisle when flash is permitted. Keep it simple for your first dozen or so weddings so that you can stay aware and anticipate and respond quickly to meaningful moments.</p><div>00W01W-229159784.jpg.e9c14c43dd28b3d866718145e5886b77.jpg</div>

<p>The shot above of the bride and her parents coming down the aisle was taken at about 15 ft on auto focus. A longer lens would have produced red-eye and the outside back-light coming through the doorway likely would have confused the auto focus. I have shot processions only on manual everything (except for auto focus) so I am not familiar with the other auto potentials. Some wedding parties enter quickly which means if your auto choices are not keeping up you will miss the shot. Practice with someone walking towards you through a outside doorway using a variety of settings (camera and flash) to see what works. It can't work some of the time---it has to work all the time. Testing and practice builds confidence--- do lots of it!</p>

<p>During the ceremony the 70-200 2.8 lens from the back of the church or balconey should serve you well on your second camera. You should have your main camera with the 18-55 lens ready to go on a moments notice. Ceremonies sometimes end suddenly and you have less than 10 seconds to get into position for the recessional. You don't want to be changing lenses as the action passes by you. Good luck.</p>