A650IS or G7? Pros and cons?

<p>I currently have a Canon A650IS, but have been offered a Canon G7. I'd like to know if the G7 is considered much of a step up to the A650? I'm thinking that it is up(a little), but enough to sell off the A650 in order to get it? Don't need/can't use/don't want both. The articulated LCD screen of the A650IS is a nice feature, and I understand that the sensors are the same(is that true?). So is the G7 worth pursuing? Thanks for your opinions.</p>

<p>The G7 does not have the same sensor as the A650 IS. The G9 and the A650 share the same sensor.</p>

<p>The G-series offer RAW format out-of-the-box, a hot-shoe, a dedicated lithium-ion battery, extra dials, etc.</p>

<p>The A650 can shoot RAW if you use the CHDK firmware (in addition to having dozens of other new features available).</p>

<p>http://lnk.nu/dpreview.com/17fw.asp</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Rob,<br>

Thanks for the side-by-side comparison. Statistically, I feel that the A650 stands up well to the others. Statistically. But how does the A650 stack up from an actual users standpoint, and especially where IQ is concerned? How about ISO? I used the A650 the other night at a band concert, and found things to be reasonably well at even 800ISO. That surprised me a bit. I wasn't expecting that. I guess I need a good reason to dump the A650IS and pick up the G7 being offered. But I might not find one. The hot shoe and/or RAW are not enough to do it.</p>

<p>Rats. I completely forgot about Canon dropping RAW in the G7 (which they added back in the G9 due to consumer complaint). Thanks for the remainder.</p>

<p>I did just check and you can get RAW from the G7 using the CHDK firmware though (same as A650).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Is the G7 actually equal in size to the A650IS? I wouldn't mind if it were a little bigger/heavier. Also, any RAW feature is totally unimportant to me. So...are they still too close to call a winner? And if so, and the fact that I already own the A650IS, if you were me, knowing how I feel, would you trade the A650 for the G7? If so, why? Remember, the Raw is not an issue.</p>