going FX in about 6 months....

louis_rosenthal

<p>Ok so I have around 25 shoots planned over the course of the next few months, and i'm thinking about getting the 24-70 (nikon) ahead of time to use it with the D90 so i have better DOF control than with my 16-85mm.... for those shoots.... I realize the wide angle issue but i should be able to work around that since 90% of the shoots will be outdoors.<br>

I have 2 wedding shoots in the summer, so i'm going to need some good glass....<br>

I'm going to be buying Either the D700 (used), D700_ (depending on specs), or go big daddy and get the D3s.</p>

<p>my current lens line-up is:<br>

11-16 2.8 (tokina)<br>

16-85<br>

70-300<br>

50 1.4</p>

<p>thanks in advance!<br>

-Louis</p>

<p>Louis,<br>

What kind of shoots? It quite depends on subject and surrounding, lighting etc. whether a 24-70 is suitable or not. For the weddings, I would be rather hesitant to do without ~18-24 on DX. Most of the time, yes, 24-70 will be perfectly fine, but I'd keep the 16-85 around too (11-16 is often too wide). Either way, I think you may already have the answer yourself. If you check the work you've done so far, use the EXIF data to see which focal lengths you use a lot. Then you'd know whether a 24-70 on DX would suit your style or not.</p>

<p>Do keep in mind that for a wedding, you ideally have everything double, and as reliable gear as possible. Also, for that work, you may want a fast longer lens. The 70-300VR in a dim-lit church won't be fun. 80-200 f/2.8 or 70-200VR would be very useful additions (also make great portrait gear). So, I'd keep the difference between the D3s and the D700, and invest it in more lenses (and flashes).</p>

<p>outdoor shoots will be things like CD covers for a band, portraits, and such....</p>

<p>here are some examples, it's my first shoot of this form, but in response to uploading it, 25 people asked me for shoots, and in late july i'll have that wedding shoot, so i believe getting the D700/successor thereof 2 weeks prior would give me enough time to get used to it and do a good job....<br>

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=388699&id=847470423&l=42f56704ee

</p>

<p>I have SB-600, SB-800, and SB-900 (one each, don't ask me why all three different models:))</p>

<p>Louis, 2 weeks prior is not enough. New gear tends to break in the first weeks, if it does (which it usually does not - but you can't risk that). You need to be past that first month. And my own experience, having a D300, coming from D80 (a rather similar step in body operation and layout), 2 weeks is not enough to get real good grips with the camera, I think. It is sufficiently different, and at a wedding, you need to be able to operate the camera blindfolded, more or less.<br>

I've done a couple of weddings (as gifts, not paid), and it's hard work and you'll really need to be 'sharp' for a full day, checking those precious moments. Your gear cannot get in the way at any point. So make sure you have had plenty time before doing it. A portrait shoot gives you time to think and time for a second try. A wedding does not.<br>

<br>

Nice pictures, judging from those, the 24-70 will work for that work :-) On FX, I would consider adding a 85mm prime, though, for the headshot, or a 105 f/2.5 if you do not mind manual focus.<br>

The question not answered before regarding 24-70, if you can afford it, I would get the Nikon.</p>

<p>Personally, buying new gear and then only having two weeks to learn it before a big job would scare me. I try to give it a month. That way if something isn't working right I have more time to get a replacement for one thing.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>