5D MKII: how to change settings for more accurate display?

unce

<p>Hi, I recently got my 5DMKII. It's quite amazing, but there is one problem. I find that when I review images on the LCD display, the images appear to be very bright or over exposed...so it's hard to get an accurate review of the image I just took. How do I change this in the display settings?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>I have the same problem with my 5DMkI and haven't found a good solution. (Enrique, the highlights look blown out, even when the histogram shows they're not.) Adjusting the LCD brightness helps, but it doesn't completely solve the problem. I just read an excellent article that touches on this issue (but offers no solutions):</p>

<p><a href="http://www.digitalphotopro.com/technique/camera-technique/exposing-for-raw.html">http://www.digitalphotopro.com/technique/camera-technique/exposing-for-raw.html</a></p>

<p>It really is a trade-off between what looks good on the camera's screen and what makes for a proper exposure. Especially if you shoot RAW, the display can't be used to judge exposure; rather rely on the histogram.<br /> I would recommend you review the article Sarah linked to and <a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/right-hista.shtml">Settings for an Accurate Histogram</a></p>

<p>Note that if you apply the recommendations given in these articles, your images will look even worse on the camera's display.</p>

<p>And remember, if you shoot RAW then you can't realy rely on the histogram either since it's taken from the embedded JPG and not the RAW file. So it will be wrong if your whitebalance is waay of; for example (My experience, anyway). But that's the best help we get =)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The ambient light sensor makes it look too dim at night and blown during the day. Strange feature.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you turn the sensor off you'll have the opposite problem. The image will look too dark in direct sunlight and too bright at night. Automatic sensor-attenuated LCD brightness is a nice touch. I wish my Nikons had this feature.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>And remember, if you shoot RAW then you can't realy rely on the histogram either since it's taken from the embedded JPG and not the RAW file.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's why some of us still use a quirky little gadget called a light meter. :-D</p>

<p>[[And remember, if you shoot RAW then you can't realy rely on the histogram either since it's taken from the embedded JPG and not the RAW file.]]</p>

<p>If you set your picture style is configure with this in mind (low contrast, low saturation) then it's not much of an issue. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"And remember, if you shoot RAW then you can't realy rely on the histogram either since it's taken from the embedded JPG and not the RAW file." </em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>You know, I read that from time to time - but in the real world even a meter, especially when you factor in the variables encountered when actually using one, is not quite perfect either. In the end, the histogram display is a tremendously useful and valid method of determining exposure - at least as powerful, though in somewhat different ways, than the traditional meter.</p>

<p>Two small points:</p>

<ol>

<li>Meters don't generally provide separate readouts for each color channel, yet the histogram does. This turns out to be tremendously useful with digital capture in which we are very concerned about maximizing exposure levels but also about avoiding blown out images. This histogram display provides information that is not available on the mater, namely a display that shows when the overall exposure looks right but one channel is blown. (The situation is common in sunset/sunrise light and when shooting certain flowers, for example.)</li>

<li>If you really think that the difference between the jpg and RAW image metering is significant, you can eliminate it by choosing a different in-camera jpg setting that will create jpgs that essentially match the RAW files.</li>

</ol>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I have a different problem with the display but found out it was the protective LCD plastic material which reflects alot of light. It makes the display too bright.<br>

After taking it out and replacing with a better quality LCD protector, everything is good! loving it.</p>