"white pictures" in Nikon 3000 I NEED HELP!

barbara_mitchell

<p>I totally agree with you!! Something is really wrong with this camera...But as I told, I tried several things, I also reseted it, and the only thing that make me able to take an aceptable outdoor picture was that...I can't return the camera ( Thing that I'd love to!!!) because I bought it on December...The matter was that I didn't have the opportunity to use it until these days...So now, I'm stack with this camera and I'll try to use it anyway...what can I do?( I hope next Christmas I'll get a better one!! lol)<br>

Any suggestions? a new lent could fix the problem?</p>

<p>Even if the camera is beyond the return/refund/exchange period offered by the retailer, it may still be under warranty. Assuming you're in the USA and the camera is covered by a Nikon USA warranty, you should be able to send it to a Nikon USA service center for evaluation. The information should be in the packaging included with the camera.</p>

<p>Lex,</p>

<p>I don't know if you've been following my posts in this thread and others, but I have <strong>exactly</strong> the same problem as Barbara with my D3000. It is a given that there's a huge problem with the camera. When it was less than a week old, I sent it to Nikon Service complete with a CD containing the overexposed .NEF files. Within a short time, Nikon notified me that the camera meter is "within Nikon standards" and returned it to me unrepaired. It seems as though Nikon is turning a blind eye to this problem. I think I should let the beast make a return trip to New York.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>That is very odd - keep us updated on the results, Will. I do recall an earlier thread, but in your sample photos the exposure deviations were less than 1 EV. Barbara's are much further off than that, typically 3 to 5 EV off from the appropriate exposure.</p>

<p>Regarding Barbara's camera troubles...<br>

While even the best auto-exposure system can be fooled, the sample photos Barbara uploaded are fairly routine and any properly functioning camera should be able to get within 1 EV, plus or minus, of the appropriate exposure, even with the snow scenes. I've studied the EXIF thoroughly and don't see any obvious indications of camera settings that might explain the error. The camera should be sent to Nikon for evaluation while it's still under warranty.</p>

Lex, those examples I posted in the earlier thread weren't very representative of the problem. Like Barbara, I got extremely overexposed photos in ordinary lighting situations. It's the kind of thing that anyone can spot as a serious hardware problem. I think I threw out the CD I sent to Nikon in disgust over the problem. I've used the camera very little since it came back, and only to try to figure out exposure compensation for that camera. I can't. It is too "all over the map" as I stated earlier. There is no consistency. It's just unusable in that state as far as I'm concerned. My intitial photos with the camera had those extreme overexposures. I thought maybe it was the cold (January) or extremely harsh winter lighting, but I ran in and brought out my D60 for comparison and got perfect results.