Canon L-series lenses on EOS 7D

danti_hendrasti

<p>Hello again!<br>

After posting 1 question (7D and its essential lenses) and reading many (!) 7D & canon lenses related discussions and reviews on this forum, I am seriously thinking of getting only 2 essential lenses (but from the L-series) with the EOS 7D that I plan to buy. I am not interested on going FF for now (or in any immediate future for that matter). One of my considerations for getting L-series lenses are for their weathersealed. I would like to go out and taking pictures without worrying that a little bit of rain, or snow, etc will ruin my lenses. As 7D is said to have a very tough build and weathersealed as well, I think it would be even better to have weathersealed lens to go with it.<br>

I would be grateful if anyone here could give me their opinions (or if they have already used) Canon L-series lenses on 7D (cropped body). The 2 lenses I have in mind are 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM (or 17-40mm f/4L USM) AND 24-105mm f/4L IS USM (or 24-70mm f/2.8L USM). My main interests are portrait, architecture, landscape and street photography. Will these 2 lenses be sufficient for those purposes? What are the pros and cons?<br>

What about if I wanted to do macro photography, does it really necessary to have a special lens only for Macro... or any of those lenses I mentioned above will be good enough? <br>

Thank you in advance.</p>

<p>The f4 lenses are both very good. You will need a filter on the front of the 17-40 for dust and weather sealing, I don't think the 24-105 is dust/weather sealed at all. I shot with both of them on a 5D in heavy rain, other than keeping them under my coat between shots, they seemed to do well enough.</p>

<p>Just to make it clear - the 7D is NOT fully weather sealed. Canon will not accept warranty repairs if your camera gets damaged because of rain, snow etc. getting into the camera. I would not make my lens decision baes on weather proofing alone. Lenses should be chosen based on your subject matter - you don't have a real wide angle lens in your lens line-up for example. And just for the record - for your shooting style, a FF camera would be the better choice and the 5DII is as "weather sealed" as the 7D or at least close to it.</p>

<p>I would consider the 17-55/2.8. It's not L build, but it has L IQ and is better suited for your 7D. You could complement that with a 70-200 and would have a great system. If wide angle is important (landscape), I would consider the Tokina 11-16/2.8. If you're into primes, my favorite one on the 7D is the 35/2 or 25/1.4. You can use extension tubes for macro photography (though a macro lens is better). Personally, for my style of shooting, I favor the faster aperture lenses; f4 just isn't fast enough.</p>

<p>Two lenses that I use with the 7D that I recommend for portraits<br>

Sigma 50mm F1.4<br /> Canon EF 135mm F2 L<br>

For portraits take a serious look at the 135mm F2. It is a bit long on crop but still fine for portraits in my opinion. It is also excellent for low light indoor shooting with the 7D.<br>

The Sigma 50mm F1.4 makes a nice portrait lens. It is excellent low light lens as well. I have seen no focus issues with the 7D. Someone will chime in with that claim no doubt.<br>

A non-L lens to consider for portraits on the 7D is the 85mm F1.8 for a 135mm field of view.<br>

The L zooms, 16-35 & 17-40, are nothing to get excited about. The are soft at the edges on full frame unless stopped way down (F11). But they are better on crop. I chose the Canon EF-S 10-22 for ultra-wide. The Tokina 11-16 F2.8 would be a good choice too but with more flare and CA issues then the Canon but very sharp.<br>

I use the Tokina 35mm F2.8 with the 7D. It gives roughly a 50mm field of view in a very sharp lens. It is sharp wide open and has the ability to focus very close. It is a 50mm macro (field of view wise) for 1.6 crop.<br>

Choosing a lens is a personal choice. Find the focal length or lens that meets your shooting style. Not what other people buy. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have used many L lenses and I own 3 including the 2 in question, they are all good but keep in mind you will be lugging around more then you probably need to and not really taking full advantage of them. I am not saying its not a good idea to get L lenses but you may be just as happy with your end results by using a 15-85 or 17-55 as a zoom since these lenses are designed for your camera.<br>

<br /> For reviews you can read about each lens here:<br /> http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/</p>

<p>Without really knowing your style its hard to say what you really value most ( do you use flash, do you want shallow depth of field, do you care how big and heavy your setup is etc ) but you say you want to shoot portrait, architecture, landscape and street photography.<br>

<br /> In general for street I prefer a small prime like a 35 or 28 on full frame but many lenses will work here this really depends on your style. I prefer small and discrete but on occasion I will use a 17-40 or 24-105 but on full frame where they really shine. IMO the 17-40 lacks enough range and the 24-105 is just not wide enough on a 7D.<br>

For portraits again, there are many kinds of portraits but most shoot them at around 70-135mm on a full frame camera so a 50 or 85 prime might do well for you here since the fast aperture will be of great value.<br>

<br /> Landscape- You may want an ultra wide like the 10-22.</p>

<p>In general a kit built around a 15-85 or 17-55 plus a few small primes may work well for you. I use a 5D2 and basically shoot 2 ways. If I am working with my camera I do not care about size/weight so I take the lens that will get the job done ( 70-200 2.8 etc ) If I am shooting for travel or fun I generally keep it small but my most useful setup is a 5d2 with a 24-105 and 50 1.4 which would pretty much equal a 15-85 + 35 on your camera.<br>

<br /> Also you may plan to go full frame but I would still suggest you get the lenses you need now that work best for your camera, you can always sell them later.<br>

<br /> Good luck.</p>

<p> I have the 17-40 and 24-105. I don 't have the 16-35. On disadvantage to the 16035 is that it needs a much larger (and more expensive) filter. It is also heavyer and cost considerably more. The 17-40 and and 24-105 use the same size filters. so you won't have to carry two different sized polarizers (if you use them). </p>

<p>You can use extension tubes between the camera and lens to get much closer to the subject. I do that quite often with my 70-200 and 100-400. I have done a very little with extension tubes and the 24-105. I have not tried extension tubes with the 17-40 because you have to get the subject very close to the lens for it to be in focus. Longer focal length macro lenses give you more distance between the subject and lens and will provide you with the better image quality than a zoom with extension tubes will</p>

<p>As others have said, no canon camera is fully weather sealed. So always do your best to keep it dry. </p>

<p>What Manuel said. I also use gallon ziploc bags. the best thing though is an umbrella, i've even hiked with one if in open country. good for sun too. I lived in SE Alaska (rain?) year round for 3 years, had no damage from rain there, other than socks dont' last long.</p>

<p>I'd hold off on getting a specialized macro lens, do what u can with the lenses you have and see if you like it. I use the 100 2.8 old macro, or lenses on fd bellows, but that's fairly specialized.</p>

<p><em>Just to make it clear - the 7D is NOT fully weather sealed. Canon will not accept warranty repairs if your camera gets damaged because of rain, snow etc. getting into the camera.</em></p>

<p>The 7D most certainly is fully weather sealed. But neither Canon nor Nikon will accept warranty repairs on any model if water or water damage is found inside because weather sealed != submersible, or even weather proof. There's a big difference between a hard rain or snow and Katrina.</p>

<p>http://canonfieldreviews.com/7d-1-weather-sealing/</p>

<p>The 17-40L is very good on crop. You do need a filter to complete the weather sealing (choose a Hoya S-HMC or Hoya HD UV filter. They have no flare that I've ever seen.) I have no experience with the other two you're looking at.</p>

<p>People are often disturbed by how the FF focal lengths of the L lenses translate to the APS-C world. I agree that the ideal walk around lenses are all EF-S. But it all depends on your style. When I shoot, I tend to shoot with a specific purpose in mind, which means one or two focal lengths at the wide, mild tele, or far tele range. I don't slap my 17-40L on my 7D and think "oh, I need more zoom." If it's on there, I want wide angle, probably 17mm. If my wants change, I reach into my bag and grab something else. I have shot some weddings using the 17-40L, but admittedly I had a second body with a 50 or 70-200 attached because you may not have time to switch lenses in that situation.</p>

<p>For macro you will want extension tubes or a dedicated macro lens, which also doubles as a good portrait lens.</p>

<p>As to the importance of weather sealing on lenses: you need to look at how you shoot. If you're like most people and quit when it starts to sprinkle, you don't need it. I have the 17-40L specifically for the sealing, and will shortly upgrade my 70-200 f/4L to the IS version for the sealing as much as anything else, because I do sometimes shoot in hard conditions. Not every lens I own is weather sealed, but those two lenses alone cover a lot of ground for when the weather is rough and the other lenses have to stay in the bag. Shortly after I got my 7D I went out shooting at the beach in a nasty rain/wind storm. I only used the 17-40L. Two other guys were out there, and the three of us were the only ones on the beach. They were fighting plastic bags in the wind to protect their gear. I was just shooting and ignoring the rain. That was nice :-)</p>

<p>Oh yes...if you get the 17-40L, get the EW-83J hood. It offers more protection and cuts more stray light and works fine with a crop sensor.</p>

<p>Those are all great lenses. I would definitely get either the 16-35mm or 17-40mm to cover the wide range, but instead of getting a 24-70mm or 24-105mm and having useless overlap, here's what I did; I got a 17-40mm and a 70-200mm and bought a 50mm f/1.8 for $100 to fill the gap. This is a lot more versatile and covers a broader focal range. The 70-200mm lenses are incredible.</p>

<p>Canon claims that the 7D is sealed to a level similar to that of the professional-grade EOS 1N of the 1990s. The more recent pro bodies (1V plus all of the 1D/1Ds series) have even more extensive sealing than the 1N, so the 7D is not sealed up to the standards of the <em>current</em> pro bodies. Still, it does include extensive measures to help keep dust and water on the outside, measures which were considered adequate for professional use not that long ago.</p>

<p>All four of the lenses mentioned by the original poster have dust- and water-resistant seals. The 17-40 needs a filter mounted to complete the sealing (this is mentioned in the manual), as the inner barrel (containing the front element) moves within the outer barrel (which has the filter threads) when zooming and the gap between the two is not sealed. The 24-105 does not share this design and does not need a filter to complete the sealing (and the manual makes no mention of needing a filter for any purpose other than as a filter). The 24-70 also does not share this design and I don't believe it needs a filter for sealing, though you should check that to make sure; I don't know about the 16-35 II.</p>

<p>I have not tested my 7D and 24-105 to see how much rain/snow/dust it takes to kill them, nor do I have any desire to do so. I used to use the 17-40 with a body that did not claim any level of sealing, so I certainly didn't try to see how much environmental nastiness it could survive, either. From what I've read, I suspect that I would be OK with this equipment if I get caught out in light rain, mist, or a little bit of spray from a waterfall. I would probably be OK with more than that, but I do not intend to take that chance, and if for some reason I wanted to shoot in that sort of environment, I think it would be prudent to take additional precautions rather than relying on the sealing of the body and lens and hoping that I don't end up having to repair or replace them if I push it too far.</p>

<p>Not withstanding the weather sealing , keep in mind those expensive "L" type full frame lens are not as sharp on crop models in the lower zoom focal ranges than the "EF-S" lens. Look at the image resolution data (MTF) at www.photozone.de - the cheap Canon 18-55IS kit lens is sharper than the 17-40L! The same can be said for the Tamron 17-50 and sigma, both sharper than the "L" on crop bodies!<br>

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=400&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&LensComp=100&CameraComp=474&SampleComp=0&FLI=0&API=2</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I own the 7D (and other bodies) and the 16-35 f2.8 II and the 24-70 F2.8 and have owned both the 17-40 f4 and 24-105 F4 IS. For the 7D I would strongly suggest the 17-40 f4L (the 16-35 II is a better lens but much more expensive) the main advantage beyond F2.8 of the 16-35 is it has sharper edges which matter on full frame - on a crop body I think you will find little IQ difference. I would also suggest against the 24-70 (or 24-105) as you may not use them that much. I rarely use the 24-70 on the 7D as it is not the best focal length option for general shooting. When I am not using the 7D for sports shooting I will take the 16-35 f2.8 II and 70-200 f4L IS. Thus I would suggest the 17-40 f4L and 70-200 F4L IS for your 7D. If you do want to shoot sports then the 70-200 f2.8 is a better choice (I also have this lens but find it rather heavy too carry around hence the F4 lens). The 17-55 F2.8 has a good reputation but I have not used this lens.</p>

<p>The 7D is pretty weatherproof and mine came out duriung the mens slalom at the 2010 Olympics in Whistler when it was raining hard. It spend the day in a damp backpack or in use without any issues.</p><div>00Vz9K-228677584.jpg.67ca89cb1dc8435612c39f5255281de9.jpg</div>

<p>Honestly, I would go for the 10-22/EF-S and 24-105/4L.<br>

Those lenses complement each other very will. And I have an outrageously overpriced polarizer that fits them both!<br>

Add a good portrait prime or two (50/1.4 and/or 85/1.8) and you are set! (or . . .if you are into Macro, get the 100/F2.8IS macro.</p>

<p>Hello everyone! Thanks again for all the inputs & responses. Greatly appreciated.<br>

At the end this is what I've decided. I've ordered EOS 7D :D It should be on the way now. As for the lens, I've decided on these 3 :<br>

Wide Angle/Landscape EF 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM<br>

General Purpose EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM<br>

Portrait/Street/Sport EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM<br>

I hope I am making the right decision here :D Even on the crop body, I think those 3 above should cover the whole range of my photography styles.<br>

The only problem now is to decide which lens (1 or max. 2) to get first as my budget won't allow me to get all 3 at the same time.<br>

Decision! decision! decision! :) </p>