AF Nikkor 28mm 1 : 2.8 - You feedback is requested

riz

<p>Hi,<br>

I have just purchased used <strong>AF Nikkor 28mm 1 : 2.8</strong> (Note: Its not 'D' because its not mentioned) for 86 USD. I will use it on my D60. I know I can't use Auto focus, but I am OK with manual.<br>

I want to know:<br>

a) whether 86 USD is fair price. The condtion is good except the outer side of aperture ring is bit broken (this won't be the problem as I would set aperture from body).<br>

b) how the lens performs? I have just read in articles that this is not 'that great' lens. But I took some shots in the shop from where I got the lens, and the results seem good to me.<br>

I would be very grateful if you give your feedback on this. I am bit 'low' by the reviews :(<br>

Good weekend.</p>

<p>Riz</p>

<p>It is a rather simple 5 element lens. Most claim it's not Nikon's best.<br>

But instead of worrying about it, why not fully try it and see if you like it?<br>

A lot of folks also poo-poo the Nikon 28-85 older AF zoom. I find it's indeed quite nice for my needs.<br>

Last two weeks on Ebay, the28mm F2.8 AF sold for $73 - 125, depending on condition. KEH is listing ex and ln for $145 or so, and they are likely nearly perfect copies.<br>

Happy wide angle weekend.<br>

Jim</p>

<p>One thing to keep in mind when reading reviews of full frame lenses like these is that a lot of people will talk about vignetting and soft corners and such, but a lot of the time they are talking about on film and full frame digital cameras since these lenses were, after all, intended to be used on those types of cameras. However, one of the good things about DX cameras such as yours (and mine) is that you don't have to worry about this <em>as much</em> because you're not using the outside of the image circle. On DX lenses, it's quite a different story because they cast a smaller image circle. Point being, consider the context of the reviews and how it relates to your particular situation. If you like the IQ you get from the lens, then great... happy shooting.</p>

<p>I always thought this lens was pretty good, mine is long gone in favor of the AF-D, which I'm not sure is that great, so I don't know what the big improvement was. Now the aperture froze, so hence I'm back to using my old 1980s 28-80mm Tamron SP which I know is excellent, so I won't be spending money right now. I think at this point I should have kept the one you have as it alway was pretty good.</p>

<p>Riz -<br>

I looked through some of my older pics and found this one that was taken with the 28mm AF Nikon lens. It has been downsized a lot to post here, the original was much better. So, I enjoy this lens too. ( as bad as it is )<br>

:o)<br>

Jim</p><div>00Vw1c-226613584.jpg.2267824fede47594ec3ead24c192e399.jpg</div>

<p>It makes a terrific normal lens on a crop camera. I sold one when I got one of the new 35mm 1.8's, but I found it to be a wonderfully useful walkaround lens. The flaws people cite when comparing it to other nikon primes tend to relate to using it for landscapes, which was the obvious use on film. However, on the smaller cameras, it's much better for other uses, with the obvious benefits of a super-affordable, super-light little 2.8 lens. I wasn't a fan manually focusing the 28 on my D80, though, and it's one reason I might recommend the 35, (or an even older 28, that was designed to be manual focus).</p>

<p>Had it, sold it mainly because the field of view on my crop cameras was a little too narrow for my tastes. Currently in love with the 24mm/2.8D :> Build quality wise it's good, however my copy I had was pretty soft wide open.</p>

<p>Alvin</p>

<p>Riz -<br>

The AF version was first built in 1986 and made until 1994. It has 5 glass elements.<br>

The D version was first made in1994. It reportedly has redesigned optics, it has 6 glass elements. Also the D function works with flash to give better exposures. People say it is better than the earlier AF model.<br>

Jim</p>