Help disassembling RB67

paul_ong1

<p>As some of you know, I am in process of refining my hybrid/tandem camera, a Nikon D70 on a Toyo 45G. I have been disassembling and adapting some broken Mamiya RB67 lenses to the system because of the long registration distance ans better resolution than my 4x5 lenses.</p>

<p>I have some good RB67 lenses that I do not want to take apart, so my next refinement is to build a lens board with the front standard from a broken RB67 body, which I just received today from KEH. The mount appears to be in good condition. With a modified lens board, I will be able to directly mount the lenses.</p>

<p>I need some help and advice in disassembling the RB67 body. Can anyone give me some direction on how to proceed? Also, it would be great if I can get an exploded diagram of the RB67 body. Does anyone have such a sketch?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>I have half completed scanning the complete RZ67 Pro repair maual into PDF format. My intent is to get it posted where anyone who needs it can download it for free, as only the operation manuals seem to be easy to find lately. I hope to complete the scan this weekend.</p>

<p>I do not have an RB, or the RB specific repair manual, but I suspect that the RZ has a nearly identical mechanical design in the lens mount area, and if you would like, I'll make the RZ repair manual available to you on my iDisk public folder when I complete the scan. All I need is an address.</p>

<p>Hi Paul,<br>

I'm assuming you will leave the lens open on its T setting so that you can conveniently use the aperture ring.<br>

If so why not just remove the chrome mounting ring and screw it to a board? Nothing else to dismantle and easy to replace if you wish to use the body again. A simple sliding-bolt catch will secure the lens OK.<br>

An awful lot easier than mounting the complete front standard unless you need the option to use the lens shutter.<br>

If you don't like this plan let me know what exactly you want to end up with and I'll email some pictures.</p>

<p>Jim Krupnik, thanks for the generous offer. My email address is pmong@verizon.net. I do believe that the RB and RZ are very similar. Have a PDF of the manual would be a great resource.</p>

<p>David McNiven, thanks for the very useful suggestion. No, I don't need the shutter, and your approach sounds like a great idea. I will give it a try.</p>

<p>Jim Momary, yes, very useful. Thanks for posting the scan. Will prove to be helpful in the future.</p>

<p>I'm working on completing the scan of the RZ67 repair manual as I type. As soon as it is done (If I give up tonight, then tomorrow), I'll send you a link to the PDF file in my iDisk shared folder. All I ask is that you freely share it if you can help someone who needs a copy.</p>

<p>It chapped my butt that when I needed it, I either had to go find an old original copy to buy, or buy a printed copy of the book from someone who scanned an old copy to PDF, and belts out dupes on a laser printer for a tidy fee. I don't mind paying for a dupe of an out of print repair or operating manual if that's what I need, but has everyone gone so nuts over squeezing another dime out of the next guy that none of the PDF scans of the book ever made it into the wild?</p>

<p>Well, this manual is about to make it..... </p>

<p>Some more details provided by Jon Senior from flickr. Posting it for future reference for those who find this post:</p>

<p>It's actually surprisingly easy. Obviously a set of precision screwdrivers is a must.<br /> <br /> The front standard comes with the bellows attached, so there's a reasonable amount of disassembly, but it goes like this:<br /> <br /> 1. Peel back the leatherette on the front standard. This will expose 4 small screws. Undo them and you can take the cover off the standard.<br /> 2. Rack out the focus to the maximum and you'll see a pair of screws that hold the distance scale (bellows extension compensation) in place. Undo those.<br /> 3. Undo the 6 screws holding the focus arms onto the front standard.<br /> 4. Look from the front standard into the body and you'll see four small screws which attach the bellows to the body. Undo these and the front standard will now be free.<br /> 5. To remove the bellows, there are 6 screws (I think) that are accessible from inside the bellows.<br /> <br /> Cocking the lens requires a half turn of the cocking rod that is attached to the front standard. Firing it takes a half turn in the other direction.<br /></p>

<p>Paul,<br>

Part 2 of the RZ repair book scan is in the can, and the link has been sent. It includes the troubleshooting guide, performance inspection guide, and the wiring diagrams. There is a part 3 in the works that includes special tools, full parts list with detailed drawings, and the film back and WL finder repair sections to complete the set. Should be done in an hour... If anyone else needs these files, let me know, and I'll send a link.</p>

<p>Update... The RZ67 repair/troubleshooting/parts manual scan is now complete. It's in three PDF files, and my old HP C5140 all-in-one scanner really stunned me. The scans looks better than the books! I sent links to those who requested them. Enjoy!</p>

<p>Jim,<br>

Can you please send me the links on the RZ67? My email address is <a href="mailto:v.amorim@sapo.pt">v.amorim@sapo.pt</a>.<br>

The mirror of my RB Pro S comes back in the up position after cocking the mirror lever, from time to time with a smooth movement I was able to get the mirror in the right position but only once in a while.<br>

Thank you.</p>

<p>Jim, again a big thank you.<br>

Vitor, hope you get your RB repaired. One suggestion if you need parts, get a "broken" one from KEH, some below $20. I got one for $3 plus $10 shipping. Be sure to ask which parts are broken so you can get the working parts you need.</p>

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

<p>Hello everyone!<br>

I have a problem with RB pro-S, The plate, that block film from light do not return up to the mirror, when press sutter-button — it hangs on 1/2 way. I opened camera body and found a finger (?) that pull this plate up and down, but I can not understand, how it must goes without my help. So, I have no manual and need your help.<br>

If the photos will be needed — I'll do them.<br>

And sorry for my English 8)..</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi,<br>

I have exploded views and service manuals for all Rb67 gear as well as a mountain of RB67 parts and accessories. I pretty much have a internal brain schematic of the body and all the lenses from refurbishing hundreds upon hundreds of them. It makes me laugh to think that I put a thread in here five years ago about opening my first lens. Can't believe I'm still fixing these things. Just CLA'd four lenses yesterday. Send me your email. Cheers, Vincent</p>