B&H Photo film processing mailers

terry_evans3

<p>Haven't used them...$17 per roll is too pricey for me, plus the cost of shipping the mailers TO my house. No multi-roll discount, either.</p>

<p>If I had a single roll, I could get developing plus proof sheet for $8 locally. Of course, they closed down the closest branch. ;-)</p>

<p>$4 at Dwayne's, plus a couple bucks a roll shipping depending on how many I develop. Since I have to scan them anyways, buying prints (and throwing out all the mistakes) is a waste for me.</p>

<p>But...I look forward to hearing actual opinions of A&I.<br>

<br />Greg</p>

<p>I tried them about 5 years ago for a roll of black and white and the negatives came back scratched to holy hell. I've heard that they went through a bad period and they're much better now, but it's just too pricey for me to take another chance on them. Not when there's so many good mail order labs out there for cheaper. I use Reed photo imaging now.<br>

I'm also curious to hear of your experience if you decide to use them.</p>

<p>Well, I just bought some film from B&H to shoot in a Contax 645 and RZ ProII that I just bought, and this will be test rolls, and it seemed convienient to send it off in these mailers. So, won't worry too much. Need to look for another lab closer, but don't think there's a single one in my area. Just sold off all my D3 equipment, and haven't shot film in years. This weekend, I'll shoot four rolls and mail them Monday. Will post my thoughts on A&I's quality.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Terry, why spend $17 for test rolls, when you can spend $1.80 or $5.88 using Fuji Labs sendout service, via Walmart sendout film envelopes. Just mark the Special Instructions box at the bottom of the Walmart/Fuji film sendout envelope (found at the sendout kiosk in the photo center). For example, mark it "120 size C-41 Print Film, 3x5 matte prints" or (120 size E-6 Slide Film". It will be $1.80 for negs processed PLUS 16 proof prints from 120 film. 120/220 slide film is $5.88/6.88. Turn around time about 7-10 days. Quality is great too, as it is done by Fuji Labs, who have the Walmart account.<br>

Oh ya, dont bother even asking the employees about this, they have no clue and will say it cant be done. But I and others have been doing this for years, with great results. If in doubt, call the 800 number at the top of the sendout envelope.<br>

They also do esoteric services such as slides from negatives, and copy slides.</p>

<p>Last roll of Velvia 120 film I mailed out using the pre-paid A&I mailer (in Oct of 2009) <strong>got lost</strong>.</p>

<p>I called A&I and they said they never received it. USPS said it didn't show up in their dead mail bins.<br /> I worked hard to create those images... <br /> Really Bummed !</p>

<p>Hi Terry,<br>

I use Tempe Camera to process all my film. I have been sending my stuff there for about a year now for around two hundred rolls and all have come back in great condition. For $3.40 a roll of C-41 I havent seen a price better than that. They are based out of Tempe, Arizona and their website is <a href="http://www.tempecamera.biz">www.tempecamera.biz</a>. No mailers required just send them your film with instructions and they take care of it from there. Calling them first is never a bad idea though.<br>

Mike</p>

<p>Quick question along the same lines. I am just starting to shoot film again. Currently, I don't have the time to develop and scan on my one. Does anyone have experience with a lab that will develop and scan both B&W and C-41 (B&W or color)? I have checked out the North Coast Photo site and they look interesting. Looking for a lab that provides decent quality at a reasonable price. Any other recommmendations?</p>