<p>The photos on my PC monitor looked too bright (much brighter than on my D700's screen and brighter than on printed photos from the lab). I'm using NX2 and CS3.<br>

So, I've bought the Spider 3 Pro screen calibration tool to calibrate my 24" Samsung LCD monitor. Before calibration I had to reset my monitor to factory settings (very high brightness). The calibration process ended successfuly (no errors), but there are minimal differences on my screen (before / after calibration). There is some minor difference in colors but not in brightness. I'm using PC with Windows 7 Ultimate version (32-bit).<br>

Is it normal or did I make something wrong?</p>

<p>some of the calibrators take screen brightness into account, some dont. I dont know if the Pro does or whether you need the Elite. But either way, you want to get the brightness down to reasonable levels. Many LCDs end up really quite dim in order to reach the desired cd/m2 output level of 90-120 but then it also depends on your viewing area brightness.</p>

<p>The D700's screen (like any built-in screen) is not calibrated, so any difference with that one can be expected. However, for brightness, it kind of depends on how you mean it. If the picture brightness of your monitor is vastly different from prints, it is weird, since that should be a 'calibrated' process more or less.<br>

If it's overall screen brightness, you could try with your prefered brightness, run the calibration then and see how that works out, compared to the prints.. It's not the recommended way, but if the monitor else is too bright to work comfortably, worth the try.</p>

<p>Calibrating your monitor with the Spider (isn't it actually Spyder?), is the first step. Next, you need to make your image processing or viewing program (like Photoshop etc.) use the profile you've created.<br>

Then, you should see more of what you're expecting.</p>

<p>I have a Spyder3 Elite and it was used on my twin monitor (1 on Notebook and one Viewsonic 22" external) system.<br>

The laptop screen brightness was 120 and to match the screens I turned the brightness on the external down to an equal 120. The calibration then worked perfectly.<br>

The notebook has a glosssy screen and the Viewsonic is matt finish and even that shows a difference. So my external has become my standard workscreen in Lightroom.<br>

Output from my Epson 3800 is now exactly the same as my screen, and at £50 an ink cartridge the calibration will soon pay for itself.<br>

Photo editing and tuning is now such a pleasure ....</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Next, you need to make your image processing or viewing program (like Photoshop etc.) use the profile you've created."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As far as Photoshop on the Mac is concerned, it will automatically pick up your current monitor profile. I would assume that applies to Windows, too.</p>

<p>The right value is the one that produces a match to the viewing booth/illuminant next to the display where you view both the display (with the soft proof on) and the print. YMMV. <a href="http://digitaldog.net/files/Print_to_Screen_Matching.jpg" target="_blank">http://digitaldog.net/files/Print_to_Screen_Matching.jpg</a><br>

</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>It is helpful to have an accurate file and print for comparison. Mpix is an online processing company (recommended) with well calibrated equipment. They sell a calibration kit for $3 that includes an accurate 8x10 print including gray scales and also a CD with the print's digital file. You compare the paper print to the CD file and adjust the monitor. This is cheap and actually has worked better for me that a monitor calibrator tool for the brightness adjustment. <br>

Look at http://mpix.com/Kits.aspx/papersamplekit<br>

Because a real photo print lasts longer than an inkjet print I use only real prints, and Mpix does every large print for me. For 4x6 work I use a drugstore and include the Mpix calibration .jpg file in my order files. If the drugstore print does not match the Mpix calibration 8x10 photo then I know the problem is the drugstore. <br>

Get the kit. Compare and adjust your monitor to the print, and also print the file with your inkjet if you use one. Compare your print to the Mpix print. If your time is worth anything then the $3 kit is dirt cheap. While you are ordering, try a 20" x 30" print from Mpix. It will knock your socks off.</p>

<p> </p>