Nikon FM2 alternatives

john_doe112

<p>I focus with my left. But when I shoot film, it's generally a slower process. :)</p>

<p>As far as other cameras, I've always liked the idea of owning:<br>

A russian rangefinder (to experience one < $50 of fleabay)<br>

Olympus OM1 (just for the size)<br>

K1000 (seems to have a real following)</p>

<p>I did pick up a Canonet QL17 (heresy to mention a Canon product here? ;) ) and quite like the quiet and smoothness of a rangefinder.</p>

<p>A Nikon FG will let you take a picture with the film advance lever pushed in. You still need to move the camera away from your face when you wind the film (unless you get the cute little winder for the FG), but at least then you can push the lever back in.</p>

<p>To me the F3 is the perfect professional Nikon body. F4, never liked it. F5 don't need it. F6 don't want it. F2 too heavy and needs servicing more than F3. Original F, have one of those (belonged to my late father) but would rather shoot with F3. The F3 is the closest camera Nikon ever made to a Leica. I love it.</p>

<p>Ditto the F3 as an alternative to the FM2, if you prefer to stick with Nikon. A couple other comparable SLRs I've used extensively that are comparable include the Olympus OM-1 and Canon FTb or FTbn.</p>

<p>But I haven't found the FM2N lever to be a problem, even tho' I'm a left-eye shooter too. I just tilt my head slightly away.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>Weird, I've had an FM series camera (all of them: FM, FM2, FE, FE2, FM3a) since 1986 and I am a "left-eyed shooter" as well. I never even seen the lever being a problem until you mentioned it. I did have an MD-12 for a while, for underwater use and steadiness with long lenses. I guess we're all different. :) I never had an F3, just an F4 (again, for UW use) but share most commentator's sentiments.</p>