Buying camera on Craigslist.. what to check? // T2i vs. 7D?

ralph_nguyen

<p>Hi all,<br>

Tomorrow I will be checking out a 7D on Craigslist. I was wondering what I should check for to see that I'm not getting ripped off. It's a used 7D and apparently it has had 900 actuations, and he has a receipt from 2 months ago. How should I test it out before I give him the cash? I don't wanna get scammed!<br>

Also, are there people on the T2i vs. 7d debate who have stuck it out for the 7D? I haven't read too many of those and am second-guessing my decision to buy a 7D for essentially $600 more.<br>

Let me know! Thanks</p>

<p>I've heard people call the T2i a "baby 7D". This is ridiculous, the 7D is a monster of a camera while the T2i has a powerful sensor in a plastic case; that is the only similarity to the 7D. The 7D has superior build, the new AF system, a super fast burst rate, and more. The T2i is not even in the same league. When you look at the camera, just make sure it looks good, is in good condition, and play with it a bit to be sure it functions properly. Also, be sure to get the sales receipt and make sure it comes with a BLANK WARRANTY CARD.</p>

<p>Ralph, I would suggest a quick test to verify that there are no sensor issues. I do this fairly regularly on my camera just to make sure there are no problems, and it makes it easier to identify issues. First, take a picture of a white piece of paper under bright conditions, open up your aperture, and set a longer exposure. This will ensure that the image is comletely white, and blown out. Then do the opposite, with the dust cap on the lens, to get a completely black image. Then inspect the images on a computer to ensure there are no dead pixels, which will show up as a colored spot in the photo besides black or white.</p>

I would be wary of buying off an individual on CL. Is the warranty transferable? Why is he selling it after only 900 actuations? It could well be that it has more latent issues. I wouldn't risk that much cash on such an investment. I would rather save up, buy from a reputable (and accountable!) seller to ensure if it does have issues, you are covered. In a few more months perhaps, you may start to see some refurb 7Ds for a bit cheaper than new, with warranty etc.

<p>Ask for the S/N, and call Canon to see if it's been stolen. If the seller is unwilling to email you the S/N, then there's something fishy. Meet in a safe, public place, and exchange cash for camera.</p>

<p>Craigs List is a wonderful venue for buying/selling cars, campers, furniture, and other things that are difficult to ship. However, it's a scammer's paradise for small, expensive items like cameras. Long ago, when in the market for a 1DMkII, I found that <strong>ALL</strong> of the CL ads in my region for this camera were scams. Be careful!</p>

<p>I hope that you are getting a very significant savings buying this used. Personally I would go for buying new which would eliminate any doubts for the next year. If I'm reading this correctly $600 more than the T2i would make this about $1,400 used. Yikes! Just way too much in my opinion. For $300 more you have a guarantee. Also I agree with Nate that these 2 bodies are worlds apart. I even chose this over the 5d for its speed (8fps) and better focus capabilities! (I will wait for the 5Dm3.) </p>