Rolleiflex Xenotar 80mm PQS vs PQ

carlos_prado2

<p>Hello</p>

I recently purchased an Hy6 camera that came with a Xenotar 80mm PQS lens.

Before buying the Hy6, I shot with an Exakta66 and 80mm Xenotar years ago, and fell in love with the results.

The Xenotar produced neutral tones with beautiful Bokeh.

So, when I finally had the money to get the Hy6, I thought I was getting my dream camera.

Unfortunately, the PQS lens is not rendering the same way.

1) It seems to be cooler

2) It's really contrasty. (I think these modern coatings the give us “pop”, might be just marketing junk.)

I was thinking of getting the older: Xenotar 80mm PQ, in order to reclaim some of the qualities I loved about the Xenotar on my EXAKTA66. (I'm assuming the PQ has the older coatings.)

Is this the way to go?

Is there a better and cheaper route to get what I want?

Thanks,

<p>I am unfamiliar w/ your camera and lens, and can only relate what I saw from my Rolleiflex TLR w/ a Xenotar lens...it was certainly a good lens! As for the contrast issue, you are probably right. I shot Nikon for years and absolutely hated the newer glass due to this issue. The bokeh on the newer lenses was poor as well. Very rough. I finally went backwards to an old H 50 2 lens w/ only single coatings and my IQ improved dramatically. When it comes to coatings, especially if you shoot B&W, less is more and none is best. The best lenses I ever owned were uncoated Heliars on old Voigtlander medium format cameras. A hood was all you needed, and if you wanted a little more contrast, a yellow filter did the trick w/o ruining the IQ. The only coated lenses I liked were Leicas, and if you looked closely you saw that their coatings were substantially better than on other lenses. More like what you would see on eyeglasses..</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>As far as I know, the only difference between the PQ and PQS lenses is the maximum shutter speed. I don't think there is any difference between them in terms of optical formula or coatings. I think you have two options:<br>

1) Find someone to make a custom adapter to fit Exacta66 lens onto a Rollei.<br>

2) Experiment with different films, filters, and different grade papers to achieve a close as you can to your desired result.<br>

If you are using the Hy6 with a digital back, then it might be the sensor that is the issue. In which case, try a film back for the Hy6.<br>

Regards,<br>

Rif</p>

<p>The Rollei 6000 & Hy6 System is a propriety system, so any thoughts of adapting any lenses for it will not work.</p>

<p>Carlos, I would suggest that you search for older 6008 lenses instead of the current newer lenses made.<br>

The glass and I would guess the coating was reformulated for environmental purposes. Think it was with the Kyoto Protocol of 1997.</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 month later...