Opaque Eyepiece

travismcgee

<p>My Canon 40D came with a little black rubber thing on the strap to block the viewfinder during long exposures, but my girlfriend's Nikon D90 came with a completely opaque replacement eyepiece for that purpose, which is much more convenient. I checked the Canon website and didn't see an opaque replacement eyepiece. Does anybody else make one? That thing on the strap is really awkward. Thanks.</p>

<p>I use a lens cloth, the case for my reflector set or, my hand. Honestly, I wouldn't pay money for something like that. Btw, I use <em>something</em> all the time when I'm outdoors and not looking through the viewfinder when taking the picture. Regardless of the length of exposure, if sunlight is hitting the viewfinder, it can significantly mess up your exposure. </p>

<p>you just have to be careful when you put the strap on to make sure the eyepiece is on the correct side so it fits over the viewfinder nicely. If its on the wrong side you'll have to twist the strap to get it to fit and its kinda awkward. Anyways, I've never had any problems with the Canon piece. I didn't even realize it was there for a while, and then another long while before I learned what its purpose was. I've done 30 sec. exposures witout using it at all with no problem. </p>

<p>The black eye patch is especially appropriate for "<a href="../off-topic-forum/00UWm0">Talk Like a Pirate</a> " day.<br>

I always switch out the strap ("steal me, steal me!") so rarely have the little piece with me anyhow, but when I do have the camera on a tripod or so, I use an bandanna or whatever I have handy. Most of the time, I don't see much difference unless the light is shining directly into the finder.</p>

<p>Um…I thought it was only there to keep stray light from affecting metering…?</p>

<p>I thought that the (raised) mirror blocked the light path from the viewfinder to the sensor / film.</p>

<p>If I’m mistraken, I’d sure like to know about it….</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If I’m mistraken, I’d sure like to know about it….</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why trust the word of a bunch of friggen photogeeks? Test it yourself: place EOS on tripod with eyepiece facing afternoon sun, set self timer, press shutter button and step away so your shadow doesn't cover the camera. If we're not liars it should be massively unexposed.</p>

<p><br /> Back in the day the eyepiece blind could be removed from the strap. Nice for those going strapless. I still have one from my 1990 EOS 10S. Still got the damn 1990 RC-1 too.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>Why trust the word of a bunch of friggen photogeeks? Test it yourself: place EOS on tripod with eyepiece facing afternoon sun, set self timer, press shutter button and step away so your shadow doesn't cover the camera. If we're not liars it should be massively unexposed.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well maybe not massively, and probably <em>underexposed</em> rather than<em> unexposed</em> . However, I have noticed that under the circumstances Puppy describes the exposure readout shifts about half to one stop when I shade the eyepiece with my hand.</p>

<p>Ben's absolutely right. You cover the eyepiece so the metering isn't affected by the light coming in through the viewfinder. Once the shutter's tripped and the mirror flips out of the way it doesn't matter if the viewfinder is blocked or not at that point. The scene has been metered, the shutter is open collecting light from the lens, and the camera is acting like the light-tight box it is.</p>

<p>I've never used the little black rubber thing on a strap myself. If my eye isn't already covering the viewfinder, then I'll just lightly place my fingertip over the viewfinder without pressing down hard enough to cause vibration or leave a fingerprint on the recessed glass. Once the mirror flips the fingertip comes off. Of course the mechanical curtain on the pro-level bodies is much more elegant, but the fingertip suffices on the non-pro bodies.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If we're not liars it should be massively unexposed.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah, I meant underexposed. I guess I shouldn't try to write while drinking beer. At least I don't try to drive or pick out new concubines...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I just checked the 40D manual again and it says:</p>

<p><em>Using the Eyepiece Cover</em><br>

<em>If you take a picture without looking at the viewfinder, light entering the eyepiece can throw off the exposure. To prevent this, use the eyepiece cover attached to the camera strap.</em></p>

<p>So it would appear the only issue is metering, as Ben said.</p>

<p>That's correct. Length of exposure is not a factor. All that matters is whether or not light is hitting the viewfinder as you're metering to take the picture. Eyepiece covers are a waste of time, though. I keep a cloth in my pocket and, after composing, I just cover the back of my camera before taking a picture. Or I'll just use my hand to block light entering the viewfinder. Easy as pie.<br>

It's easy to see if you're going to have a problem. Press the shutter down half way with the view finder covered and then with it uncovered. If your metering changes, you need to cover the viewfinder before metering. I just do it all the time so that I know I won't have a problem. Good habits save bad pictures.</p>

<p>I would not use Live View to focus on the 40D. Use it to compose if you want, but turn it off to focus. Autofocus on the 40D in Live View doesn't really work, and I personally don't trust Live View when manually focusing either. And if you're shooting at night, you don't need to worry about covering the eyepiece at all unless there is a bright light behind you or something. Nice picture!</p>

<p>Dave is, of course, correct in reporting what the manual says. And that’s what I based my statements off of.</p><p>But Puppy was right to suggest the experiment — and, boy oh boy oh boy is he right!</p><p>I just made the attached 15-second ISO 100 exposure with the body cap on and the viewfinder pointed at

the Sun. It’s with default ACR settings except for 0 blacks and a linear curve.</p><p>And, just to be clear: a 15-second exposure with the sun hitting the viewfinder is not as weird as

one might think. A small-aperture (or HDR) golden hour shot may well fit that description perfectly.</p><p>WOW!</p><p>Cheers,</p><p>b&</p><div>00Vtxu-225341584.jpg.ca4ddd9b28fff69a9bb0ad6d91d05d61.jpg</div>