How to Impress a Professional Photographer?

jschmitzphotos

<p>Jaclyn, I have zero knowledge as to how wedding/portrait photographers hire assistants, as I have never worked for any, nor do I shoot weddings... so my advice/info may or may not be as useful, seeing as many on this forum do what you want to do for a living, and have already given you great advice. I will say that a good attitude, determination, and hard work go a long way in any field... and you seem to be rockin' these qualities. People will notice. My first assisting job was a freebie... actually the first 5 jobs I did were freebies. I was happy to be laying masonite boards to protect the flooring of a location as a third assistant on a Cosmo shoot... It was a great day! Heck, the photog even threw a couple of boxes of 120 and fuji-roid my way when the day was done. I was in my second year at CalArts, so working for film wasn't all that bad since I needed to be shooting myself (school work). Which brings me to my point/contribution... I think someone mentioned taking classes at your community college, and I think that is excellent advice. A few of the teachers in the photo department at my local community college are California Institute of the Arts MFA graduates, and are working photographers (editorial) to boot... can't beat that for 11-ish bucks a unit. Community college photo classes are definitely worth checking into, as you will be practicing your craft, and should have access to the equipment you may want to be using as you build on your portfolio.<br>

As for assistant work... many assistants that I know started out working for the rental houses, and at the front counter in the processing labs. Both are great places to meet and form friendships with working photographers... many of whom hire from these spots when they need a second or a third in a pinch, as they would rather ask a familiar face than take a chance on an unfamiliar face... <br>

As for not having the best DSLR... I don't have the best DSLR either ;) I don't have one at all. Don't worry about that. If a photographer is only hiring you based on you having a fancy schmancy DSLR, then chances are he is gonna ask you to borrow it.<br>

...my two pennies ;) Keep positive, and keep shooting!</p>

<p>Hugo: Thanks for taking a critical eye to my portfolio. I'll probably learn this in the composition book that's coming in the mail, but when you say "watch the lines in the background," are you saying the tree lines are bad/distracting/ugly? Or the striped shirt? As for Places, thanks for pointing all those things out--learned a lot.</p>

<p>John: Thanks for the mentor tips. So true about the competition! Hopefully I can convince someone I just want experience and I'm not plannin' on going anywhere for a long time!</p>

<p>Lex: Haha, great story about the Cosmo shoot! Education in photography is something I definitely want to have, but still paying off school debt for a different degree. But heck, $11 a unit? Will look into it. Thanks for the tips about assisting and the not-so-fancy-DSLR :) Will stay positive!</p>

<p>Dear Jaclyn,<br>

I wish I had advice for you but I'd just like to say thanks for starting this thread. I'm currently in the same boat as you and sincerely wish you the best. It has been discouraging (although understandable) for a bit because I've been turned down from internships in which I don't even request for pay. The advice given on this thread is valuable and it's encouraging to see photographers sharing advice. Nothing will stop me and my pursuit!<br>

I think I might just bookmark this page to see where this journey will take you! </p>

<p>ps. I love that shot where the girl is in the water and there's water splashing everywhere. </p>

<p>Hey Christina, thanks! It is so hard to get experience when photographers are even turning down free assistants! It is great knowing that everyone is so willing to help out. I've just gotten a bunch of books to educate myself more, hopefully there will be some progress in the future for you to see. :)</p>