CS3 misbehaving with Snow Leopard--again

<p>Recently, I posted the following question on this forum:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ever since I installed Snow Leopard on my MacPro Dual, CS3 has been doing weird things that I would describe as a "semi-stall." For instance, if I make a duplicate of a multi-layered image, the new image cannot be flattened, i.e. the "Flatten Image" command is grayed-out. Also, I cannot quit Photoshop without force quitting, which I have to do frequently in order to re-start it, so that it will work properly until the next semi-stall.<br>

Has anyone else encountered similar problems with CS3 and Snow Leopard? Are there any simple solutions? I am reluctant to upgrade to CS4 at this time with CS5 just around the corner, because I am leery of Adobe charging me for two upgrades.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Andrew Rodney suggested that I discard the Photoshop CS settings, which I did and which I thought solved the problem. Unfortunately, it did not, and I am back where I started. Adobe's support suggested that I re-name the CS3 Prefs.psp file as CS3 Prefs.old, but that also did not work. I am waiting for their next suggestion. In the meantime, I would welcome any strokes of brilliance from the photo.net community.</p>

<p>Rob</p>

<p>Well you could do a clean uninstall then install of CS3. There’s an uninstaller in the Utilities folder. Do NOT add any 3rd party plug-ins for awhile and see if the issue clears up. Its also possible you have a RAM issue of which Photoshop is very, very sensitive. Usually this will result in a PS crash. The general fix is to remove a chip (or chip set) at a time and run PS for awhile, again seeing if you can crash the app again. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Andrew,</p>

<p>I do have the Nik Suite installed as plug-ins. I would hate to give them up, to be sure. This problem did not appear until I upgraded to Snow Leopard (and broke my own rule of not changing an OS, if everything is running well.) But before I did it, I researched the topic and could find no reports of incompatibility between CS3 and SL. On the Nik website, they mention some problems with their software and SL that can be corrected by deleting duplicate Arial font files, which I have done.</p>

<p>I am not totally averse to upgrading Photoshop to CS4, if that would fix the problem.</p>

<p>Rob</p>

<p> </p>