How would you process this baby photo?

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I Dont know how to get the file and Process it, But in my opinion, they perfect way is like <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=1008200">Sheldon Nalos</a> did. Babies faces need to be Soft, completely soft, here you dont have to make the image sharp. U have to go to the other way, hehe</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Tim, that looks by far the best, IMO. I don't know what film that's supposed to emulate, but maybe it's time to drag the old EOS3 out of retirement for a few days and remind myself. Was that all just curve tweaks? No local contrast adjustments? The quality of light on the child's face is by far the most gentle and restful. A fantastic job in any case.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The original, as well as several of the previous tweaks are great, but I couldn't resist jumping in with my own version. I concentrated on cleaning up the minor skin imperfections while preserving its texture and sharpness. I also brought back the excessive red in areas (eg, ear), and tried to give the impression of a darkened room + focusing attention on the face by a bit of vignetting. I intentionally didn't do any re-cropping or cloning out of background elements because there were already several good comments on this.</p>

<p>Tom M.</p>

<p>PS - If not obvious, the OP's original is above, my tweak is below.</p><div>00VtoC-225259584.thumb.jpg.94b62b873ed591d1cd852e9982fa9c7c.jpg</div>

<p>Michael, thanks for your comments on my attempt.</p>

<p>I worked from the original Raw in ACR 4.6 and set the camera profile to "Camera Portrait Beta 1".</p>

<p><em>Holy cow! </em><em>S</em><em>ure wished Adobe supplied 16 different profile combinations for my Pentax K100D like it does with Mike Mason's Nikon D2X. I have to roll my own with DNG Profile Editor to add to my measly Adobe supplied four. I'm jealous.</em></p>

<p>Anyway afterward, I just reduced Exposure in ACR 4.6 to -.55, Recovery at15, the rest at default, Clarity+35, Vibrance+35, Saturation+15. Set HSL Red Hue to +25, sharpened it and that's it.<em> </em></p>

<p>Scratch that. Those aren't the edits. Did the edit on a copy and chose the wrong one.</p>

<p>Exposure: -1.10, Fill Light: 18, Blacks: 9, Brightness+58, Contrast+60, Clarity+30, Saturation, +30</p>

<p>Custom point curve shaped kinda like a low flat extended mesa. HSL Red Hue:+20, Yellow Hue: -40, Orange Saturation: -13</p>

<p>Calibration Panel set to ACR 4.4 and Green Primary Hue/Saturation both set to +30.</p>

<p>This was a saved preset used to beef up an overexposed and somewhat washed out daylight scene of a garden. I just started applying it to images like these and was getting what you see here. It was all accidental as it always is.</p>

<p>Lucky you! I miss my babies... sob sob - but - I think the baby is a bit too red as you mentioned. However that does not bother me as much as those deep dark spots in front of the baby.<br>

They distract. <br>

I've done a very poor job of softening (lightening) the spots, a very poor job... but I think you'll see what I mean.</p><div>00VvU8-226267584.jpg.1d992b9d97b42e5919a9608d40e23755.jpg</div>

<p>Tom, thanks for the kind words. I agree about the dark spots, but other than completely re-doing them (eg, reshooting the photo, painting or cloning them out, darkening or lightening them out of existence), I thought the best way to handle the situation would be to soften and darken them a bit and actually use them to help lead the eye of the viewer to the face of the baby. </p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Tom M.</p>

<p>I'd probably do something along the lines of this. Crop. Decrease saturation a little. Increase blue a touch. Get a 70% red channel, 30% blue channel mix, convert to LAB and paste that into the lightness channel. Smart blur the a and b channels a touch. Convert back to RGB. Duplicate layer and smart blur a touch, then gaussian to soften the edges. Add a layer mask to the 'smoothed layer,' hiding everything and paint in the skin area of the mask with a soft white airbrush. Set opacity of 'smoothed' layer to about 40%. Increase contrast a touch with levels, operating on black point only. I think that was everything :-)</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

Lee</p><div>00VvZf-226319584.jpg.da046b1d09940795dd5e14382bc4d283.jpg</div>