How would you process this baby photo?

<p>Our second baby arrived and I am shooting away trying to get some good stuff. She was asleep on a nice little cushion so I took a few frames. This one is shot on my D80 with the 35mm AF-S at f/2.5, 1/60th, ISO 800. I am reasonably happy with the composition -- perhaps I should have used my 50mm instead of the 35mm for a little more background isolation.</p>

<p>My question is how YOU would process this image. I shot RAW and processed in Lightroom. I adjusted the white balance slightly warmer than it really should be, she looked a little blue otherwise. I spot-healed a couple of blemishes and applied a touch of negative clarity. I cropped slightly and applied a small post-crop vignette. I left the noise reduction sliders at their defaults. Overall I haven't done anything drastic, I've just gone for a "nice" rendering of the photo. It feels fine but a little middle-of-the-road. I'm interested in how other people might interpret the image. Maybe a black and white conversion? Maybe more of a "glow" effect? Maybe more punch to the colors?</p>

<p>Here is the<a href="http://mikeandmichelle.ca/raw/MikeMason-DSC_0277.NEF"> original RAW file</a> (8MB) if you're interested in processing from the original, and here's a <a href="http://mikeandmichelle.ca/raw/MikeMason-DSC_0277.jpg">high-resolution jpeg</a> (400KB) if you're not into the raw conversion thing. Neither have any edits applied.</p>

<p><strong>Edit:</strong> Of course, if the image totally doesn't work for you and you think I could improve the shot in the first place, I'm very happy to hear that kind of critique too! Thanks!</p><div>00VspV-224627584.jpg.4be08e952f05519c4b2abbb4ddfa6438.jpg</div>

<p>I converted it to B/W which I felt allowed the smoothness of baby's skin to be contrasted with the texture and pattern of clothes and cushion, without the distraction of the colors (which in my opinion, don't add a great deal to this particular photograph). I feel like the B/W simplifies the photo, keeping the attention where it ought to be. JR</p>

<p>Hmmm, I like your original rendering Mike, (but) IMHO the blue in the background is a little distracting, so I 'shopped it out and cropped the right side slightly to emphasize the lovely baby! I would loved to have soften it slightly but I don't don't know how to do that (yet). The cloning is rough and quick, but I hope you get the idea. Only other adjustment was curves.<br>

Congratulations, by the way!</p><div>00Vsvw-224703584.jpg.0658ceb56425214bb12167e3998cc8c3.jpg</div>

<p>Hi everyone, thank you so much for your comments and wonderful edits!</p>

<p>I think I'm leaning towards a monochrome rendering because the colors, as Jeremy noted, don't add that much to the image. The blue area top-right is actually Mum's sweater and I did have a go cloning it out too. I'm not that great with Photoshop (Elements) and I can tell that I've cloned something out -- maybe that's just because I know it was there but it certainly bugs me.</p>

<p>In future, taking a little more time over the image, I'd make sure to remove distracting background elements and shoot the image a little cleaner (maybe with better light so I don't have to use ISO 800 -- acceptable but somewhat noisy on my 3yr old camera). I'm very happy with how this exercise turned out, thanks again for your input everyone!</p><div>00Vt40-224801684.jpg.f83e9007da083fe52053d71dd13eae23.jpg</div>

<p>I think of everything, I like Benson's processing the best. It's a little stronger than I would do, and I would still do my crop because that one big brown spot in the foreground is very distracting in almost every version. Cloning out the sweater was the most effective single edit I see here. I'm not much for desaturation and odd ratio crops. I like BNW but only in high contrast scenarios or when an image really has a lot of distracting color issues.</p>

<p>Haha! I love the Eagle/Stars and Stripes comp but yes, we are Canadian.</p>

<p>This has been a really useful exercise for me -- I'm seeing many more elements in the original image after having folks express their opinions. I agree that the brown spot in front is distracting and I think a tighter crop is probably the way to go.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your suggestions and edits!</p>