1st Macro Lens

phil_burt

<p>A very close friend of mine has a Nikon 5000 and is interested in getting started in shooting some Macro stuff. Is there a recommended lens for him to start with. I have recommended for him to use a close up set but he is determined to want a lens for this.<br>

His interest is insects and other small things.<br>

Besides the lens what else may he need to do this with good results.</p>

<p>Thank you,<br>

phil burt</p>

<p>I have the Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro, and I love it! It takes tack sharp shots. He will need a tripod (you can get mini ones if you're shooting down low alot), because the camera needs to be very still with a macro lens. Also, depending on what all he wants to shoot, he might want to get a ringlight at some point.</p>

<p>What is the budget?</p>

<p>At about $500, the new f3.5 85mm Micro Nikkor is a good choice. <br /><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/656971-USA/Nikon_2190_AF_S_DX_Micro_NIKKOR.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/656971-USA/Nikon_2190_AF_S_DX_Micro_NIKKOR.html</a></p>

<p>Or what a lot of folks here like, Tamron 90/2.8<br /><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330643-USA/Tamron_AF272NII_700_SP_AF90mm_f_2_8_Di.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330643-USA/Tamron_AF272NII_700_SP_AF90mm_f_2_8_Di.html</a></p>

<p>If there is more $ (at about $900), the 105/2.8 VR micro Nikkor is a good choice too.<br /><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/424744-USA/Nikon_2160_105mm_f_2_8G_ED_IF_AF_S.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/424744-USA/Nikon_2160_105mm_f_2_8G_ED_IF_AF_S.html</a></p>

<p>Or if budget is really tight, check out a discontinued manual focus (an manual metering for the D5000) cosina 100/3.5 macro. There is one at ebay BIN $79. Check item # 200441281041 (Don't wait too long)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The newest AF Micro Nikkor 85mm/f3.5 comes to mind. It offers a very large working distance (the distance between the front of the lens and the subject) for this class (about 19cm at 1:1 magnification: nearly the same as offered by the longer 105/2.8 VR), which is beneficial when you shoot insects.<br>

You should bear in mind that the 85/3.5 is designed for DX camera like your friend's D5000. If your friend is planing to move up to an FX camera (like D3 series or D700), he would be better off looking at 105mm/f2.8 VR.</p>

<p>This is how my recommendation would go for someone aspiring to do close-up/macro photography. Should purchase *<em>in the following order*</em> depending now how serious he/she is. Each next purchase should be made if the user has maxed out on leveraging the present gear.</p>

<ul>

<li>Tamron 90/2.8 1:1 Macro (either the Di or non-Di variety is fine, this is the most value-for-money first macro available today)</li>

<li>Tamron SP AF 1.4x teleconverter (adds a bit more reach/magnification to above without any visible degradation of quality)</li>

<li>Nikon 200mm/f4 AF ED IF Micro (if too expensive then consider Tamron 180 macro or Sigma 150 macro)</li>

<li>Nikon 60mm/f2.8 Micro (either the VR or non-VR -- a different perspective for flower/jewelry macros)</li>

<li>Kiron 105/2.8 Macro or equivalent varient (if you can get one)</li>

<li>Nikon 70-180 Zoom Micro (if affordable)</li>

</ul>

<p>Given the lack of AF motor in the D5000 body, the non-AFS lenses may be a bit "crippled" for non-macro use. If it is only for macro use, however, I would not make a big fuzz from the lack of AF motor.</p>

<p>All lenses mentioned so far are pretty stellar. As far as I can tell, there are no bad macro lenses. Personally I have and like my Tokina AT-X Pro 100 f/2.8. Very solid build, sharp, beautiful bokeh. For insects, though, I'd wish I had a longer one. The Nikon 200 f/4 would be prime suspect, but for far less money the Tamron 180 f/3.5 would probably be my choice. <br>

But I think you cannot go wrong with any macro. So, first determine budget and whether or not AF will matter for other uses, that should short-list the list.</p>

<p>For still subjects... For a little over a hundred bucks you can get an old MF 55mm f3.5 or f2.8. GREAT intro to macro, and even though it won't AF (or even meter) with that camera, it is still really useful. Just use the on-board histogram to get it right. You'll learn a lot about photography and your camera and lots of things by doing this.</p>

<p>When you want moving subjects 105 or longer. I'd get the Nikon 105 VR.</p>

<p>The other thing he needs is a GOOD sturdy tripod. Anything bought at Wal Mart or Best Buy will probably not cut it.</p>

<p>I use all three Micro-Nikkors and believe they each have their place. I probably use the 105/2.8 50% of the time with the 200/4 about 30% and the 60/2.8 about 20%. Wouter is correct that for insects longer is better, I find both the 105 and 200 work well, with the edge going to the 200.</p>

<p>If I could have just one, I'd get the 105. While still a large lens, the 200 is much heavier. The 60 just won't give you enough working distance for many subjects.</p>

<p>I've also changed my opinion regarding autofocus for macro and use it now on occasion. When contorting oneself to frame things, having the camera forcus can be a real help. I'll also second Peter on the value of a great tripod. While I shoot a lot of macro hand-held, other times a Gitzo GT2541ex with a Kirk macro rail allows for precise framing and focus, although wind is as big an issue as camera movement much of the time. I rarely shoot above base ISO for saturation and IQ and usually shoot f8-f16 for DOF, so slow shutter speeds can be the limiting issue.</p>

<p>I've also heard good things about Tamron's 90 and 180 macros.</p>