another 5D MK II or a 1Ds Mark III

javier_herrera1

<p>I need to pick up another body and I am torn between simply getting another 5d MK II ( I love it!) or a 1ds MKIII. I can get a 5D MK II body with a grip, 24-70 F2.8, and a 580 EX II for 1600.00 less then just a 1Ds Mark III body! I know that my 5D MK II has an antiquated focusing system, less shutter life, and no weather sealing but is it really worth it? I shoot mostly fashion/commercial photography with a lot of portraiture and have now been receiving more advertising jobs as well. Your input would be greatly appreciate it.</p>

<p>J</p>

<p>Javier,</p>

<p>There are many valid reasons to prefer the 1 series over the

rest. If you don’t know for certain what those reasons are,

or if you’re agonizing over the cost, then it’s not

likely to be the wisest choice.</p>

<p>If you’re happy with your results with the 5DII, stick

with it. It’s a superlative camera, comparable to the best

film cameras Canon ever made. Though the 1DSIII is better, it is

not overwhelmingly so, and it is not because the 5DII is a bad

camera.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>Well I guess if I'm going to make a big investment I should go with the 1Ds Mark III it seems. I do love my 5D MK II but would love the peace of mind of the Pro Build like the higher shutter life, superior weather sealing. I think there is a reason why it is a "pro" camera. It is wise to just bite the bullet and the spend the 6K on the 1Ds to step up the level. As always thank you for your input friends. I truly value this site and the support and help we photographers give each other</p>

<p>Javier,</p>

<p>If I might put it a bit differently:</p>

<p>If this is a business decision, approach it in those terms:

will you be able to recoup at least double the price differential

in a reasonable amount of time as a result of buying the 1DsIII?

(Will the 1DsIII enable you to bring in a couple grand a year you

wouldn’t otherwise be able to get?) If so, it’s a

sound financial decision.</p>

<p>If this is for a hobby, will the pleasure you gain from the

1DsIII be worth the price of admission? Do you have enough

disposable income to be able to make the purchase without losing

sleep worrying about your finances? Will you still be able to

afford to buy other things you desire? If so, get it and enjoy

it.</p>

<p>If not, save your money.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>Javier,</p>

<p>Buy a 1Ds III used - they are going anywhere from $3400 to $4200 - the latter a the high price range in mint shape. In early February I purchased one with 6k shutter actuations, a RRS L-plate and extra battery (and with all original accessories) for $3700 including overnight shipping...It had just come back from Canon for an inspection (fine).</p>

<p>Compared to the 5D II I sold, the Pro body is much bigger; dampens shutter vibration better; is said to be better than the 5D II at low AsAs but is not as good above 1600 asa...and definitely has a better AF system, and locks on in lower light conditions better than the 5D II. Both are great cameras, and in some ways the smaller size of the 5D II can be an advantage at times...but you already have one.</p>

<p>Don't buy new! Save money and get a fine one used...the value of any camera body will only decline through time anyway. Why pay more to lose much more by buying new?</p>

<p>rdc/nyc</p>

<p>Robert,</p>

<p>That is what I did too. I got one last August from a Canon Explorer Of Light, it was his personal camera, less than 1,000 actuations, extra battery etc. $4,200 with a warranty and a 30 day money back grace period from a bricks and mortar store.</p>

<p>Couldn't be happier. Scott.</p>

<p>If you need something right now and you love it, i'd get a 5D. But in all seriousness, if you need a tough as nails, everyday shooting machine with incredible battery life and i can only say i (and all the assistants) love the Ds bodies. I would wait for the IV version to be available later this year and sell all my 5D's, maybe keep one for carrying around and the weekends...</p>

<p>Thanks guysl I am definitely going to wait on it then. I guess I will just get a 5D MK II body and wait to spend the money for a 1Ds MK III or IV? I do own my own studio in Dallas, Tx. and it IS a business purchase. I did consider the "tough as nails" scenario because of it. I see that the end result from both cameras are identical in quality. the 1Ds Mark III pulls ahead because of reliability in the long run I suppose. buying used is sounding pretty good to.</p>

"I shoot mostly fashion/commercial photography with a lot of portraiture and have now been receiving more advertising jobs as well" - Javier

<p>What proportion of your jobs do you shoot in Arctic weather conditions ;-) ? Last time I checked, Dallas was pretty darn hot ;-) I would say you are safe for a long while yet with the 5D2. Just FYI, I have shot with my 400D (XTi) in the rain on several occasions with no ill effects. By extension, I don't hesitate to shoot with my 5D2 out in the rain when necessary. I'm not sure what you mean by an antiquated focusing system. Unless you need super-fast 1D series AF for tracking fast-action sports or wildlife, I think it is just another overhyped "shortcoming" which is very unlikely to be the cause of a missed shot, especially if shooting in the controlled conditions alluded to in your initial post.

<p>By your own admission, for less than the price of a 1DsII, you can get a number of other accessories that will more than likely give you a lot more photographic mileage than just one additional body would. For me, as a business decision, it would be a no-brainer. 5D Mark II with the additional lens, a 580EXII and possibly one of the four excellent 70-200 Canon zooms.

• 1 month later...

<p>On the other side of the coin, there are a few more differences between the two bodies than mentioned. Whether they make a difference to you depends on what you shoot. A couple I've found that make a difference for me in certain circumstances:</p>

<ul>

<li>Autofocus still works at F8 on the 1DsIII, vs 5.6 on the 5DII. Probably not a benefit for your studio, but a huge difference for a nature or sports shooter.</li>

<li>3 Stops of exposure compensation on the 1DsIII vs 2 Stops on the 5DII. Useful If you shoot HDR or in extreme lighting conditions.</li>

<li>Both CF and SD card slots on the 1DsIII. For a critical, non-reproducable shoot, it's really comforting to make 2 copies of every image as you shoot.</li>

</ul>

<p>I currently have both bodies and like the flexibility of being able to pick the camera that makes sense for a given situation. I know the conventional wisdom is to have to identical bodies, but at the cost of these things, I prefer having the flexibility.<br>

Paul Wasserman</p>