Savannah Georgia

george_allred

<p>Anywhere downtown in the historic district, the "Squares" they call the area. And there are other areas that are great, including Tybee Island, etc....<br>

There is a man that will do a photo tour for not much expense. His name is Frank Barevich at Savannahphotooutings.com . email; fbrab@comcast.net . phone; 912-660-6994.<br>

On my website www.hmottephotography.com there is a photo I took in that area of a Savannah Street<br>

in HDR. It is on the bottom row of my Landscape Gallery.<br>

Best Wishes</p>

<p>Tour some of the houses, walk the streets, go to Ft. Jackson, visit the waterfront. There are great subjects at every corner and square. It's a walking town, but you might take a carraige ride early on to get the lay of the land and some historical background, then set out on foot. Charleston and Savannah are a couple of my favorite places to visit.</p>

<p>Go stand in line for food at Wilkes'. (Far better than Paula Deen's.)</p>

<p>I'm with David. Skip Paula Deen's. I'm a big fan but the Lady and Sons is.... let's just say you should skip it and leave it at that.</p>

<p>I second the carriage ride to get the lay of the land. The Ships Of The Sea museum is a great stop for about an hour or two. Not great for photography but you will really enjoy the place.</p>

<p>Great walking city. </p>

<p>I'm not as familiar with Savannah as some, but I really enjoyed shooting at dusk & after dark down on River Street. With a fast lens, you can hand hold many shots, and there are many posts, trash cans or walls on which you can brace your camera. When you're there, don't miss the beignets at Huey's. Three of us did a dozen in no time. They ought to be a controlled substance. I'm looking forward to a return trip later in March.</p>

<p>I recommend you take one of the bus tours around the city. It's the best way to get familiar with the buildings and history. You can buy a 3-day parking pass good at any metered spot other than parking buildings, for a very reasonable price, at the tourism center where the bus rides are located.</p>

<p>The squares cover a lot of area (21 of them, about 4 blocks apart on a grid). You won't see much without a car (and there are places you don't want to walk). Besides the square itself, the buildings around each square are varied and unique. The historic river front is interesting too, but a bit of a hike without a car. Ft. Jackson is about 12 miles outside of town (you're going to need bug repellent in the spring and summer). It has been well-restored and the docents are knowledgeable and helpful.</p>

<p>If you like seafood, there are several restaurants along the river front with good food at reasonable prices. For a touch of elegance, I recommend the "Pink House".</p>

My only caution, coming from a "low lander", the seafood along the river front is basically average and I'd avoid that. The Pirates House used to be great, decades ago, but it's now a tourist trap.

Ask the locals where they go for fried shrimp and oysters. The barbacue is also great down there.