Wildflowers in the Pacific Northwest

dave_l.

<p>I moved out here about six months ago, and I'm still in awe that things are blooming in February! Anyone have recommendations on good places for wildflower viewing/photography, or just nature photography in general? Bonus points if it isn't in a National Park, my dog will thank you.</p>

<p>Lupine on the Oregon coastal cliffs makes for a very pretty composition. Foxglove in the Gorge (Wahclella Falls = natural terrarium) is very nice, Tualitan Hills Nature Park (no dogs) has carpets of small flowers in approx April (who knows this year, maybe March). This is all in the Portland area. Washington Park allows leashed dogs on the trails and has a wide variety of eco-niches in its miles of trails... there is always lots of Fireweed blooming in the Spring.<br>

Mt Ranier is generally considered THE wildflower spot in the NW, though I haven't been there at peak season. Do some research on the east side of the Cascades, and also N Cascades NP. The bloom will be early there this year... a chance for somewhat higher altitude flowers.<br>

We are 1 month advanced this year, as I'm sure you know. Enjoy! -g-</p>

<p>This is a rare warm period this winter as the recent above normal temperatures started a premature bloom. It's a safe bet it won't last. As for wildflowers, you're a little early for Washington, but for the most part they start in Eastern Washington first, usually March to April, and hit Western Washington after the snowmelt. It may be early this year as the lower elevations have little or no snow, but it will depend on the temperature when the wildflowers bloom. In the Cascade Mountains, it's likely more from May into July, and into August in the higher elevations or northern Cascades.</p>

<p>One place to start is the <a href="http://www.wsrphoto.com/mtflowers.html">wildflower</a> Web page (with accompanying map and links) on my Mt. Rainier NP photo guide. I hope it helps and let me know if you have questions or suggestions.</p>