ND grad test: 3 filters

sfcole

<p>For my own amusement, a test of 3 neutral density grad filters:<br>

None, BW 502, Cokin P102, and Hitech .6 hard grad. All photos were taken with a Pentak k20d, with a 16-45 lens set at 29mm. Exposure was 1/15 @ f11, as determined by a Sekonic L558.<br>

The main question was whether the Cokin displayed a color cast, which has been a common complaint. Was the Hitech any better?<br>

Conclusions were difficult to make, even after printing. Setting a white balance point on the blank portion of the paper had no effect.<br>

The Hitech MAY be slightly purple in the darker portion, but then again perhaps the eye is fooled by the darker shade. <br>

Here is what I do see: the B&W filter is practically useless and produces almost no effect. The Hitech has a slightly harder edge than the Cokin, making it more useful with telephoto or MF lenses. I wish the Hitech edge were harder as it is almost impossible to align, even with the lens stopped down fully. The Hitech is almost double the price, but not double the quality. Mine arrived warped, and with the ND edge slightly angled instead of square with the filter. The tapered edges make it harder to grasp, and the envelope that passes as a "case" is barely adequate.</p>

<div>00Vr1u-223553584.jpg.f1e7d118dad909d199f7d895c1847b7b.jpg</div>

<p>"I'm wondering if anyone simply reverses their square ND grad filters in order to get a harder edge?"</p>

<p>That won't work well because the edge of the filter creates a distortion just like the edge of a pane of glass would.</p>

<p>For those occasions when you want the darkest portion of the grad in the middle of the frame, Singh-Ray makes a reverse grad:</p>

<p>http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html (half-way down the page).</p>

<p>---</p>

<p>I use a combination of 4"x6" grads from Singh-Ray and Lee. I like Singh-Ray reverse (no one else makes these) and hard-edged grads (they are harder edged than others IMO). I like Lee soft-edged grads because they are really diffusely gradated.</p>

<p>I use 4x6" grads because I prefer to hand-hold the filters rather than deal with holders for most purposes.</p>

<p> </p>