D700 - test checklist

james_tye1

I'm receiving a used D700 tomorrow, only 3000 shots but a year or more old (it was the previous owner's 2nd body).

I'd like to check all's working correctly and thought you guys might have some tips for me in that respect.

What should I look out for and what tests do you recommend? Any common probs to look out for? Cheers.

<p>Well James,</p>

<p>That's quite a question you have here. My first thoughts are on:</p>

<ul>

<li>Physical appearance</li>

<li>Proper functioning of all switches and buttons</li>

<li>Cleanliness of viewfinder and mirror</li>

<li>Cleanliness of electrical contacts incl. hotshoe</li>

<li>Proper focussing with both AI, AF and AF-S lenses (if you have those)</li>

<li>Focus tracking with AF lenses</li>

<li>Metering</li>

<li>Condition of LCD and TFT screen</li>

<li>Output on pc</li>

<li>Proper fuctioning of cardholder</li>

<li>Shutter actuation</li>

<li>Firmware version</li>

</ul>

<p>Well that's about it. Do you have a testing period that you can use in order to check it out? I guess a lot more people will come up with suggestions, and it will take some time to see if it is working.</p>

<p>Good luck though.</p>

<ul>

<li>Verify the shutter actuation count</li>

<li>Inspect the lens mount area for excessive wear. It should be consistent with the actuation count.</li>

<li>Shine a flashlight into the CF card compartment and look for bent contact pins.</li>

<li>If you have both AF/AF-D as well as AF-S lenses, verify AF and perhas VR with both types of lenses.</li>

<li>Check the functionality of the pop-up flash. Verify that it can wirelessly control an external SB-600, 800, or 900 (or SB-R200 if you have them). Make sure that it can trigger a hot-shoe-mounted flash.</li>

<li>Check for hot pixels</li>

</ul>

<p>Take some pictures at all shutter speeds (all the way to 1/8000 sec) and ISOs (200 to 6400).</p>

<p>Great, thank you.<br>

I've searched here for how to check actuation count and I understand it's in the EXIF data. I'm using LR 1, in Library mode, under EXIF Metadata and with images taken by my D300 I can't see it.. Am I doing something wrong?<br>

Also is there a good way to check for dead pixels? Shoot a white wall maybe?<br>

What will the Firmware version tell me and how do I access that?<br>

Arthur you have a point!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Take some pictures at all shutter speeds (all the way to 1/8000 sec) and ISOs (200 to 6400).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Going further, I would verify the most common shutter speeds while maintaining EV.</p>

<p>(i.e) f/8 @ 1/250th...f/5.6 @ 1/125th..there should be little if any EV change.</p>

<p>In addition to those already mentioned, please also check sensor to see if there are any dust or scratches. Dust can be cleaned but scratches will cost you. Some users try cleaning it on their own and accidently scratch it and then try dumping it on someone else.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>is there a good trick to spotting scratches on sensor</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sure. You could purchase one of those silly loupes that allow one to optcally see dust etc...</p>

<p>....or, take a shot of a white wall w/o surface imperfections. Take it into post processing, crank the levels up and down and look for abnormalities. Nothing?..You're ok.</p>