Grids on Softboxes

michael_s10

<p>A grid makes the light fall in a roughly parallel direction, it doesn't just reduce spill.</p>

<p>If your subject is close to the lightbox a grid makes each part of the subject be lit only by the portion of the diffuser that's close to that part, rather than from the whole surface of the lightbox. So yes, it will change the light a lot.</p>

<p>As a rule of thumb, I have learned that, mostly, coveted and expensive light modifiers do usually have a significant effect that cheaper ones (or doing without entirely) can't quite match - which makes them worth having, and means that a high price can be charged for them.</p>

<p>The only cheap modifiers I owned were a couple of umbrellas, and then I bought Chimera softboxes, which were not cheap, and have served me well, but I always wondered if I "overbought", especially considering the expense of adding grids to them (will cost as much as the soft boxes themselves).<br>

Since I'm kind of a noob (as my kids would say) - what are the most coveted light modifiers?</p>

<p>I can tell you that the new folding softboxes from Paul Buff (Alien Bees, White Lightning, et al) are surprisingly well made for the price, and do have optional grids that do, indeed, do what they're supposed to do. I've been using one of those newer folding units of his in the strip-box format, and it's great. No complaints at all, especially about the price.</p>