Katz Eye or other on D300

steven_p

<p>I have several/many older MF nikkor primes, such as a factory Ai'd 85/1.8, the "ruby coat" 50/1.4, plus several MF micros.</p>

<p>For close-up I use a tripod and live view. I would like to use the 50, 85, 75-150, 70-210 for indoor low lighting conditions, where accurate focus, especially wide open is difficult, and I miss many shots. I also like driving stick and enjoy manual focus photography.</p>

<p>I actually like the micro prism ring or dot better than the split image rangefinder type, but am looking for other opinions and experiences with products such as these. I'm also not afraid of removing or changing screens on the fly.</p>

<p>Thank you for any assistance,<br>

Steve</p>

<p>In my FTn's I've got a kind of ground glass that sounds like what you describe as a 'micro prism dot', does that make sense? I've always preferred that to the split screen. Of course its been forever since I actually used it regularly. I've heard of Katz eye but never seen someone who has it. It is something I'd like to 'test drive' in a camera that has it done before I invest in it for my own.</p>

<p>Does anyone in the DC Metro area have katz eye on a D300 or equivalent that would be willing to let me buy them coffee and take a look through your viewfinder sometime?!?</p>

<p>Let me chime in here - I also use a Katz Eye screen in my D300. I use AF lenses for the most part but I got the Katz Eye because my macro lenses are manual, and the D300 viewfinder isn't as good as I would like. The Katz Eye helps considerably. I often use the micro prism ring when it is better for the purpose than the split image. Mine is the brite screen. As for changing screens "on the fly", I suppose it could be done but I found it took a second adjustment to get the center focus spot centered in the ring. Not critical, I suppose, but it bothered me when it was off-center. I haven't found any problem with exposure but Katz warns that spot metering will be slightly off. I use center-weighted for most of what I do so that isn't an issue.</p>

<p>In working the google machine I found a couple links on my own question about Katz eye vs focusingscreen.com comparisons;<br>

<a href="http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/50303-focusing-screen-comparison-between-katzeyes-focusingscreen-com.html">Pentax Forum feedback from a guy who bought one of each</a></p>

<p><a href="http://www.randys.org/2009/04/14/focusingscreencom-focus-screen-review-canon-xti400d/">Randy's Forum Review</a></p>

<p><a href="00OiEv">From our own archives...</a></p>

<p>If I get one or the other I'll definitely post a D300 specific review/experiences...</p>

<p>Tony,<br>

One thing you may want to consider is getting a katzeye without a prism.<br>

I bought one for my D200 when I was shooting with a manual 500 f4. The prisms I tried just didn't work, I contacted Katzeye and I sent back the screen and got the custom one with brightening without a prism for almost no additional cost. Great service, and the results was a very large improvement in view finder sharpness.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Katz Eye in my D700. Love it. I had to make a few adjustments when installing it and

Rachael Katz, family business owner, gave perfect support (on a weekend). It is a genius design and

installation. She warns (as do others) that it is a more precise and delicate operation than changing

on my F3. I actually found it to be incredibly easy, easier than the F3, especially with the instructions

and tool that comes with the product. Focussing is a dream with the split image with MF Nikkor AIS

and Zeiss ZF. If you want it and can afford it, buy it. If you need support you can easily get it. You

won't regret it. It will not be a bad decision. And If I'm wrong, you can probably get most of your

money out of it on eBay while your model is somewhat current.

<p>The Katzeye on my D300 definitely helped, but in my case the screen needs adjustment as it is not accurate enough - it gets me close for sure, but it's not spot on. I've been neglecting to send it in to KatzEye to have the screen calibrated. Sometimes I use the green dot as a 2nd opinion to the screen.<br>

I did the installation myself - I'm quite confident with such things - but I'd recommend getting a plastic set of tweezers as it is too easy to scratch the screen with metal ones.<br>

John</p>