focusing screens on F-1, AE-1P and FTb

h_s1

<p>the only way to change the screen on a FTB is with a complete disassembly of the top of the camera and Prism. As to what screen would fit once you manage that No idea.<br>

The F-1's both versions the screen is replaced with the viewfinder removed working down from the top. Since the viewfinder is interchangeable this is very easy and a number of different screens are made for the F-1's<br>

The AE-1P has interchangable screen that are removed via the mirror box. There is a little Tool like clip that locks onto the screen to aid the removal and insertion of the screen with minimal risk of screen damage.</p>

<p>Interesting site. Thanks.</p>

<p>The only thing it states as a fact is that A-1 and AE-1 P cannot use each others' screens. There is no such information regarding F-1s and FTb and AE-1P. Or perhaps I missed it on the web page.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Perhaps the reason the info is not there is because it's sort of obvious that the answer is no, all three cameras use a different system of mounting the focussing screen and therefore you cannot just take the screen out of one and pop it straight into a different model. The only possibility might be if you're considering stripping the screens down to their component parts, modifying them and then rebuilding them into the appropriate mounting system for the camera you wish to move them to (assuming that size is the same or larger).</p>

<p>Your original question isn't particularly clear as to what you are trying to achieve, but if you need a new screen for an FTb can you not just get one from a parts camera?</p>

<p>The only two Canon Bodies that share screens are the Two early F-1's the F1 and F-1n use the same screen.<br>

the A-1 uses a screen that has no frame the frame is part of the top of the mirror box roof held in place by a small screw.<br>

The AE-1P uses a screen that the metal mounting frame is a part of the screen and has two little nibs that lock into a pair of little notches then a clip in the front that holds it in place.<br>

The T-90 and AE-1P sreens are the closest to each other and there was some talk a while back about them being interchangeable but that would mess up the T-90's spot metering. I think you would have to change the frames if I remember correctly.<br>

The only screen that might change into a FTB would be a screen from an FTB-n or EF I think that might be the source of a Split screen in some of the early FTb's that has been found.</p>

<p>The EF, TLb and TX metering patterns are center-weighted averaging so their screens do not have the semisilvered beam splitter needed direct light to the meter cell. The FT and TL screens do have the beam splitter. However, the FTb's meter circuit is a little more sensitive so its beam splitter redirects slightly less light than the ones in the FT and TL.</p>

<p>Ah, wonderful information guys. Thanks for the specifics regarding the screens. I was looking for a website that talks exactly about this stuff, but got no luck. This discussion changes that entirely for a future user who searches for this information :)</p>

<p>I asked the original question because I wanted to know if I could AE-1P screens in FTb. The former has a larger selection available. Same case with F-1.</p>

<p>I am a newbie in this sort of thing and it was not obvious to me how this could be *not* possible ... all I could have done was assume ... and we all know what is usually said about assumptions :)</p>

<p> </p>