My AE-1 comes home....

maiku

<p>Hi Guys,</p>

<p>Last month, I put my Canon AE-1 up for consignment along with a lot of other cameras. Yes, I am heretic, a SOB and a down right fool for trying to sell my Canon FD gear. Luckily, it did not sell. Why? Who knows... but I am happy to have gotten it back. I now have a back-up to my T70. With my T70, AE-1 and various lenses, I think, I now have a very good Canon FD set-up. I made a decision sometime ago to go with one system to improve my photography. I choose the FD system because the gear is dirt cheap (except if you are in the market for a F1 or F1n) in Japan and the quality is outstanding.</p>

<p>Today, was a great for taking photos. Clear blue skies, warm weather and brilliant bright sun. I could not take sitting in the house, so I loaded the AE-1 up with Arista 400, packed it in to camera back along with 3 lenses and headed out to try to capture the day in photos.</p>

<p>Mike</p>

<p> </p><div>00Vog1-222223584.jpg.7c8dfa78d685afb2f0ef7868761743f8.jpg</div>

<p>Michael,<br>

Wonderful composition, technique,and scans!I guess it is a good thing when plans do not always go the way we intended.My folks told me when I was growing up to "sleep on it overnight" before making a decision and most times you will find you have changed your mind come morning.Your work with T70's and A Series always put a lot of us guys shooting F1's & T90's in our place!I shoot T70's myself when not using a F1N.They are exceptional cameras that are often overlooked.<br>

I'm curious about about what the reaction is of the Japanese people when they see you shooting with a 'old oddball" camera such as a T70?I worked with a Japanese engineer years ago and he told me that many Japanese prefer not to buy used unless it is pristine and many have a tendency to only purchase the latest technology.I would hope some of the young Japanese kids are shooting film like in other parts of the world just to give it a try and to be different from the crowd. </p>

<p>Not too long ago I stumbled across a fascinating vintage camera blog- the author lived in Japan, and did frequent (sometimes daily!) postings about the various old cameras he'd see out in public. Very very cool stuff, great pictures, and if I hadn't lost the URL...darn.</p>

<p>Hi Guys,</p>

<p>Thanks for the nice comments. I will keep shooting. I am always eager to develop the film to see the results. It is one of the joys of film.... the anticipation, the not knowing right away. </p>

<p>Douglas, your former colleague was spot on about his countrymen. They want pristine used items. Appearances over substance mean a lot to the Japanese. Most Japanese look at me kind of askew when they see me with older Canon or Yashica gear. They cannot imagine why I do not have a Leica or Vogitlander. That is true quality in their minds.</p>

<p>When it comes to Canon FD collecting the F1s and F1ns are top of the heap. The prices for them are well beyond my means. The A-1 and Black FTb also have fairly high price tags. The other A-series cameras also fetch good prices too. The T-series cameras are real bargains. I am happy that is the case because I want to use my camera not look at it.</p>

<p>Again, thanks guys.</p>

<p>Here are a couple of more photos from yesterday.</p>

<p>Mike</p><div>00Vp8E-222525584.jpg.1064724de26672199c635977cb8c6939.jpg</div>

<p>The T70 is one of the best Canon FD cameras available. In in terms of accurate exposures, and handling, I would rate it above the A1 and F1. But it has all the style of 80's shoulder-pads and mullets.<br>

Just remember to use the spot meter lock when your subject is in shadow. That one shot of he woman looks like it could have used an extra stop of light. #4 above i think.</p>

<p>I also live in Japan, and I also shoot Canon FD gear. I found some Canon gear at the local junk shop today, a black AE-1 Program (with a mint 50/1.8 lens), an older silver AE-1, and a very nice looking A-1. I also picked up a T-20 flash for my OM=1. Total price for for the whole mess was 3205 yen (about $30). The AE-1s and the flash work well, but the shutter on the A-1 is stuck open. Putting a battery in it didn't seem to help, I simply got an "EEEEE" message in the viewfinder. Oh well...</p>