Happy 20th Birthday Photoshop or Photoshop through the ages.

<p>Adobe Systems' Photoshop software turns 20 years old on today.</p><p>Photoshop got its start in 1987 when Thomas Knoll wrote software that could display grayscale images--those

with a range of gray tones--on monitors that could show only black or white pixels. He and his brother, John

Knoll, licensed the software to Barneyscan in 1988, then to Adobe in 1989. Adobe Photoshop 1.0 arrived in 1990,

and in 1995, Adobe acquired Photoshop outright from the Knoll brothers..... <b>

<a href="http://news.cnet.com/2300-10798_3-10002523.html?tag=mncol"> (read more / Cnet)</a></b></p><p>There are plenty of online festivities, as well. You can check out the

<b><a href="http://www.photoshopuser.com/photoshop20th"> webcast </a></b> of a celebration the National Association of

Photoshop Professionals will host at the Palace of the Fine Arts Theater in San Francisco on Thursday night at

7:30 PM, where key figures in Photoshop's birth and adolescence will be on hand to commemorate the event. Or you

can watch a

<b><a href="http://tv.adobe.com/go/photoshop-20th-anniversary"> special Adobe TV broadcast </a></b> that reunites the

original Photoshop team and offers glimpses of the fabled Photoshop 1.0, working on a refurbished Mac from that

long-ago era.....

<b><a href="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2360052,00.asp"> (read more / from PC Mag)</a>.</b></p>

<p>Sad. I've been using various types of graphics editing workstations and software since the 1980s. And I remember when Corel Photo-Paint was generally considered superior to Adobe Photoshop, around the mid to late '90s. My Mac Color Classic (buried in the closet) has the last version of Photoshop that was compatible with that generation of Macs. And my digital editing is still crap.</p>

<p>So, happy birthday, Photoshop. I'm still waiting for the Talent 2.0 plug-in.</p>

<p>If you had bought the first version and upgraded every time Adobe forced you to do so (forced only if you wanted the new features or new camera support) I wonder how much it would have cost you by now?</p>

<p>I'll admit I've never been a huge fan. I've used it but I've never liked it. When started out, Micrografx Picture Publisher was better (it had a clone tool, Photoshop didn't!). That software was bought out and promptly killed off by Corel. Then I used JASC Paint Shop Pro. It too was bought by Corel and "upgraded" into progressively slower and dumbed down versions!</p>

<p>I think I'm even less of a Corel fan than I am an Adobe fan. It's all suffering form software bloat. It all takes longer and longer to load and runs slower and slower. My old Picture Publisher can load in under a second - in fact I can load it, do a quick image crop, rotate, adjust, save and close it before Photoshop's even loaded - and it can do those basic adjustments just as well as PhotoShop.</p>

<p>Lex, i have a Talent 2.0 plug in with me (im a good friend of those Adobe tech)..maybe i can send you a copy? ; )</p>

<p>I remember working with my first Photoshop v2 when i start Photography School.. at first it was a nice gadget, then i start working with it because i like what could be done with it, never think i work one day seriously using it.. 18 years later it is THE main tool for my day to day work.. if only i had bought a Apple and a Adobe stock when they where 4$ .....</p>

<p>now release C5!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I remember when my first photography teacher showed the class this thing called Photoshop back in the early '90s. This crazy teacher told us that computers and, more importantly, computer printers would some day take over photography. The days of the darkroom were numbered, he said. We all thought he was nuts.</p>

<p>In the mid-nineties I received a full version of Photoshop 3 with the purchase of an Epson flatbed scanner. I rarely used either the program or the software.</p>

<p>When Photoshop 6 came out I received an excellent deal on the upgrade. I switched over from using Photo-Paint to Photoshop. I generally get every other upgrade. The costs are minimal. </p>

<p>I upgraded to CS4 last year. I find the improvements to the interface very satisfying. I like the control I get in ACR. I even like Adobe Bridge.</p>

<p>I think computers are now able to handle the bloated software programs. 64 bit processors and operating system along with 8-12 GB of memory can handle the bloat. As long as the interface allows you to perform the task at hand you will be fine.</p>