Nikkor 35mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.8?

mark_abatayo

<p>Mike<br>

why are you considering just these lenses the 35mm is blah on a DX and the 50 is so so why not a 24mm lens as a walk around and general purpose lens, I used a 35mm almost exclusively on a film camera but have absolutely no use for it on a Dx camera. If I had only one lens I would have a 24mm or 30 mm .<br>

Steve</p>

<p>Peter<br>

you are 100% right most amatuer photographers would buy a 50mm but It was probably because that was what they were sold with their camera. It was considered the norm it was even called a standard lens. but that is not a valid reason for a serious photographer to not consider other options for his standard lens. If you've ever done any journalistic type work you would soon see the limitations of a 50mm as an only lens.<br>

Steve</p>

OK, I don't know if anyone is still watching this, but just to comment on "back in the day .. normal lens," etc.: I was in the photo business back then, and nearly all SLR cameras were bundled with a 50mm or up to 58mm lens at the factory. The lens came already attached to the camera in a box designed to fit a camera and lens combination. Sometimes the box contained a camera, lens and so-called ever-ready case. Dealers usually, but not always, paid a premium to purchase body and lens separately, and so they simply didn't. If you wanted a Pentax Spotmatic you bought it with a normal lens, or you paid a slight premium to get the body only. Few people bought body only. To make the long story short, it wasn't a "choice" thing -- the 50mm was forced on the consumers "back in the day." Don't even get me started on the state of zoom lenses in the 1970s -- not the same as today.