Which flash do you use on an M6 TTL?

phc1

Metz makes quite a number of flashes that will work with the M6TTL (I believe that they also make the SF20).

http://www.metz.de/1_metz_2000/m_pages_english/main_index_e.php3?link=4&sub=1&linkname=mecablitz

Take your pick in price and size:

Mecablitz:

Potato masher types: 70-MZ5, 70-MZ4, 60-ST4, 50-MZ5, 45-CL4

Swiveling-head, high flash tube: 54-MZ3 (also supports M7's HSS)

Low-rise units: 40-MZ1i, 40-MZ3i, 32-MZ3, 32-Z2

The 50-MZ5 and 54-MZ3 "support the most features".

Skip

I use the Metz 54. It works in nearly all situations without problems, is relatively compact and has a lot of power. It is excellent for fill flash and recycles faster than I can wind. The tilting head is good for bouncing off the ceiling and it rotates for bouncing in portrait mode. The controls are simple and easy to use.

Negatives - it is a bit bulky on the camera and gets in the way of the winder lever a bit (so I use a power winder). Some have noted the potential for flexing the top plate with the heavy flash (resulting in mis-aligned rangefinder patch), but I have not experienced this. While it is expensive, it has the advantage of being usable on Nikon/Canon etc. with different modules, making it more useful.

I have also used it on non-TTL cameras in auto mode and is works well.

Regards,

Michael

SF20 almost exclusively now ( if and when I need a little fill).

Coupled with Lux lenses and faster film it rarely is not enough

light, even in dark reception halls. I got the Metz 54MZ-3 and

hated it. Completely defeated the idea of the M. So I changed

modules and now use the Metz on my R6.2. I recently got the

S-Fill diffuser and will be trying that at this weekends' wedding.

I've been very happy with the Metz 32Z-2 in combination with its dedicated SCA 3502 adaptor, which provides TTL control. At GN 105 (in feet/ISO 100/50mm lens angle of view, if I remember correctly), its output is fine for daylight fill at a reasonable distance/aperture. It's also shorter than some of the other Metz shoe-mount flashes and contains fewer features that aren't supported by the M6TTL (=> higher benefit/cost).

Regards,