Is anyone else having trouble with printroom?

pixie studios

<p>Hi everyone. Just wanted to advise you (especially Jason Truman) that I just received the money owed to me from Printroom. If anyone is still having issues, email carlton at carlton@printroom.com and ask him for the money. He was actually quite efficient so it looks like they are straightening some things out at Printroom.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Well it's now March 29 and I'm still waiting for my February check ($430) - supposedly cut on March 15th. This is sounding all too familiar again... but I see nothing new posted here or on the SportsShooter site regarding Printroom. Why should we have to beg Carlton for our money every month? We all have an agreement that I believe binds both parties to some very basic principles. One of theirs is to pay us the money they have derived from the sales of our photos on the 15th of each following month. They have had this money for anywhere from two to six weeks at this point. When I received the checks for my December and January payments I noted that both were cut on the 15th of January and February respectively but obviously simply held and not sent out (I got mine March 2 by FedEx). Doesn't Carlton realize that besides the discussion here there are another 80 posts at SportShooter regarding his business practices and most are not positive? If his business is indeed still in trouble none of this is helping in the slightest way and when coupled with a staff that either doesn't know what is going on or outright is lying to us about it is very troubling indeed. Anyone else have anything to add?</p>

<p>Well I got my check this week after utilizing the BBB and the California Attorney General's Consumer Affairs office as well as emailing good ol' Carlton. <br>

Carlton replied telling me he would look into it and contact me back. I never heard from him again. <br>

The BBB got a quick response from them noting that my check had been mailed out and offering me six months free membership. I received my check shortly after.<br>

I certainly hope they get everything fixed soon.<br>

Anyone had any success with other sites? I find the thumbnail upload option from printroom valuable. We do a lot of sports tournaments and the ability to upload thumbnails vs full files is helpful. I tried zenpholio, which seems like a great site, but it took an excruciating amount of time to upload my full files.<br>

Thanks to everybody for all the info.</p>

<p>I too wish they would get these financial issues resolved. They do provide high quality services and I have been very pleased with all aspects of their services until we hit this "where's the check" issue and subsequent promises and lies from the staff. I too am a sports photographer and enjoy the ability to quickly upload thumbnails so I can tell people the events I shot today will be available to them later this evening or tomorrow at the latest. Equally frustrating is the fact that I am enjoying the best January, February and March I have had with Printroom since joining three years ago. But my customers simply don't understand who or what Printroom is. They think they are ordering directly from me and don't realize that it's out on the left coast. But I have received no complaints in that regard - all this lack of timely payment stuff is behind the scenes and unbeknownst to them as probably it should be. I just wish Carlton would get it all straightened out and get us paid as per our agreement with them states. I have enough to worry about without wondering if and when I'm going to get my Printroom check and how far and with whom I should have to push this. If they in fact are providing services to 30,000 photographers as they claim I simply can't believe there is not more of an uproar - unless so many of them are so small as not to make the $100 per month threshold and simply don't miss the check. Now each order I get I have to wonder as I upload the full files if I'm ever going to see my 70% share of what people are spending and what alternatives I should be exploring. Do I stop distributing my photo business cards that direct people to my Printroom site? It's not just the $430 they now owe me for Febraury activity but it's another $450 for March and each days as orders come in I have to wonder if I'm putting more of my assets at risk by not taking more action... Lily Hay - did you drop pursuit of legal action once you got paid? Jason Truman - since I'm way out in upstate New York could you provide the contact info for the BBB you used and also the California AG's office. I'll try Carlton once more but this is getting a bit much. Also the threads at SportsShooters go back to last August (2009) so this is anything but a new issue with Printroom just new to us.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>I have sent this to Carlton, in hopes to get SOMETHING for all of the time, money, business that I've put into the company:<br>

I have recently joined Printroom in May of 2010, and have the Premium Service with over $750 of profits. So far my customers have not complained to me about their prints, so with that I am thankful for such an easy process. However, I have not received ANY profit check, and it is July 26, 2010, when I should have received $657 worth of profits, which I need to pay my employer. <br>

This not only makes me look bad to my employer that I have set up their business with a site that is not only depriving me of my income, but also led a delay their organization of funds in which they directed and provided many clients towards your company. <br>

I have talked to a rep who helped me ''realize'' that my checks have been sent, but he would not tell me when or where my checks have been sent to. I also contacted another rep prior, who promised to call me back on the status from the accountant, which I never heard from. I have been calling Printroom customer service line for about 2-3 weeks now, each time the 'Service Managers have stepped away from the desk or at lunch', and it wasn't until I randomly dialed numbers in the directly to finally get in contact with a representative. In hope for a more direct solution, I also have sent about 6 emails on the Contact support section of the site, where I only received 'auto response' emails back, which was significantly worse. </p>

<p>****** SO guys, could you suggest anything else that I do, because we all pay a membership fee, and it's just not fair that we put our time, energy, and business into this company, and do not get the proper service or CASH that we deserve!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I thought they had resolved the issue, but it seems they are back at it. I have not seen my May check either. I've been getting the run-a-round again. I got my checks the last time as soon as I threatened informing the BBB. I don't think they are getting a warning this time.</p>

<p>The only reason I'm still with them is because they are the only place I can find that you can sell packages.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>It is August, and I am in the same boat. I have used and trusted Printroom since Feb of 2006. It is not my main income, and so I look at the online sales once in a while, but never checked to see if I recieved the check. It seemed that this was a given, for a number of years. So recently I was away for 3 weeks and noticed I had a nice check coming to me from June, and didn't remeber seeing it. So I called after checking my records and thought it was probably lost in the mail. Come to fined out it wasn't and that they said we owe you $1127 from 3 checks - Jan/ March / June.<br>

The rest you all know. I can't belive Printroom didn't notify me of the issue, never mind using my money for operating expenses along the way. I think it is absolutely unethical, and it seems illegal to use clients monies for internal usages.<br>

I had asked that Carlton call me, but of course, no go.<br>

I called about 40 minutes ago, and was told Carlton was in an executive meeting.<br>

I said if I were him he should go into that meeting an explain that it would be better for someone to talk to me. Otherwise I am call ing the attorney generals office.<br>

I found this users group while I was on hold and was writing this as I was on hold for 35 minutes waiting to speak to Carlton. Of course he come back with "he was not in the meeting", "and no we can't call him" etc.<br>

Total bullshit.<br>

He kept trying to get me over my account manager. Wasn't my account managers decision to hold my money and use it for internal funds.<br>

Have told them I want Carlton to call me. We'll see.</p>

<p> </p>

Wow....such a disappointment! I've bee using Printroom since 2003...I have five large event galleries ready to sell, and

just don't want to trust them to PR - wondering when/if I'll see any income from it... I'm still waiting for checks from April,

and no response...(walking away, shaking head, and wondering where a great company went, and why... No excuses for

not setting photographers profit $$ aside and not touching it for anything else. Absolutely none. When I get income for

prints that I process myself, I set aside the $$ to have the prints made before optimizing the images for printing...never

touch the COS $$ - agh...

• 2 weeks later...

<p>While fighting with printroom to try and get money owed to me, I happened to find this thread via a google search. After reading this thread, my heart sank, as I realized, I'm probably not going to get the money that printroom owes me. I pay $100 per year for my membership, and now they are holding my $300 profit hostage. If I send an email, I get a form letter in return. I'm not able to contact any live person via their phone system. I think the writing is on the wall.<br>

Is there anything we can do about this? I don't think filing a complaint through the BBB is going to help get our money. What other options do we have? I'm so disappointed. Printroom was always a great company to work with. How sad!</p>

<p>Susan & David,</p>

<p>I did in fact file with the BBB of California & received my checks for May & June within a few days of filing. The first time around (back in Feb. when I first posted this) I merely threatened it in an e-mail & I received my checks pronto. It does really help. This is exactly what the BBB is for.</p>

<p>Yikes. I just stumbled upon this thread after running a search on Printroom problems. I too am owed money. I shoot fundraisers for specialty clients and hadn't done any for awhile, so I wasn't aware of the troubles. I've shot three events this summer and suddenly found something amiss. No check in August for July profit. Slow fulfillment. <br>

Talked to them today and was promised the check would be sent out.<br>

I'm now looking at other alternatives like SmugMug and Zenfolio. Anyone using these?</p>

<p>Hello, 1st time responder to printroom problems. I am owed over $800 for past months and $500 currently. I have been calling finially got some one but still no checks. If any one has numbers to A.G. and BBB in Cal. area please let me know. I will let you know if any results. Thanks John in Ohio <a href="mailto:jhinely3@embarqmail.com">jhinely3@embarqmail.com</a></p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Greetings! </p>

<p>The entire year has been the same story for me as for everyone else. At several points, they have been well over $1000 in arrears (luckily this is not my only means for getting paid) and all I have received is comments along the line of "It's getting better, as we are turning things around". At this point, I am tired of the cat and mouse game to get monies owed to me.<br>

If anyone has any suggestions/experience on how to best address this, I would welcome them.<br>

Thanks,<br /><br />Frank </p>

• 3 months later...

<p>I tco am having problems with Printroom. Today I wondered if they might be having financial problems and after reading the other posts I would have to say they are.<br>

I have been with them for about 3 years. I have a Pro account. At first the customer service was great. When you called, you talked to a person. Then about a yr and a half ago I was told that unless I upgraded my account to the next level I would now only be able to leave a message and a rep would get back to me in 24 hours. I wasn't happy about it but I stayed as I had already paid them. Looking back it was a mistake.<br>

I have not received a profit check since November. There was also a problem with my last order. For some reason they decided to crop some with a full bleed and give the other 8x10's a white border. There have been numerous emails and phone calls on my part. Two automated emails and one from a rep named Jared on their part. I have not received any return calls. Today I told them I expected a call today or tomorrow at the very latest. I honestly don't expect a response so I am already drafting a letter that will be sent certified mail. I am also contacting my credit card company to see if there is anything they can do. Then I suppose that the next step is a complaint to the better business bureau. This time I will be moving to another company for my esales. Any suggestions? My email is <a href="mailto:tambriab@aol.com">tambriab@aol.com</a></p>

<p>Tambria, I have decided to move on to Zenfolio. Printroom still owes me $400 at this point and had the audacity to call me about renewing. Zenfolio has the benefit that you can get paid through Paypal at any time rather than having to wait for checks.</p>

<p>Best of luck,</p>

<p>Frank Jansen<br>

jansenphotography@gmail.com</p>

• 7 months later...

<p>Jan, that is exactly the reason that I left them about a year ago. They are funding operations from the profit component that belongs to the photographer. At the very best, this is breach of contract, as they are contractually obligated to pay the photographer by a certain date.</p>

<p>Best of luck with them. FWIW, I switched to Zenfolio and am happy as can be. You can take your profit out at any time.<br>

<br />Frank</p>

<p>Ditto here. I opened an account with Printroom in 2008; was very happy with them -- until about a year ago when profit checks were not issued on time. I opened an account with Zenfolio about six months ago and I am very happy. Plan to close my Printroom account next month.</p>

<p>Was quite happy with Printroom....but closed acct (for stated reasons) and now with Digilabs. Very much like that their gallery 'plugs' right into my website with my logo only, customers are happy with product, and they have not missed a beat in getting profit checks out.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>What is happening is simple. Payments made with orders are put in their bank account. The lab gets paid. The printroom part of the money "should" be put in their account and our part put in a escrow account collecting interest (they they are free to keep) until they write the profit checks each month.<br>

Apparently they do not do this. They are operating like a pyramid scheme. Paying one person on the profits of someone else and then that person later as more comes in from other photographers.<br>

I have filed a complaint with the Attorney General of the State of California and am working on one with the US Attorneys office. They do business Interstate so I am hoping that gets some results.<br>

Am actively looking for a new provider of the services I use them for. As soon as I find one I will pull the whole thing and file suit against them - in MY jurisdiction. They have breached the contract by failing to pay on time so my contention is their clause as to jurisdiction is void as well. If the US Attorneys office gets involved it may well rise to Interstate problems and charges. One thing I will definately do is name each employee I have dealt with by name, separately and independently from the corporate entity. They are the ones making empty promises. Even if I don't get my money I will cost them some. I bet they still get paid.<br>

Am I being mean? I don't think so. Many phone calls, emails and contact through the site and they can't get a check out on time? Excuses don't pay the bills.</p>

• 3 months later...
<p>It is February 2012, and I still have not received profit check for money made befor the end of 2011. One employee out there said Printroom was having cash flow problems because of the economy. Not sure if or when I will get money due me. Lots of documented calls & emails saying I will be paid, but not happening, so am looking to change. Can't afford & don't want to work for free. Also tech support had gone to none. Problems with my Homepage since last September that they admit to not knowing how to fix. It is a problem, because the Homepage is the first clients see when logging on to your site.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I am having the same problem with Printroom. They owe me back thru October. I have called, emailed, etc with the same recordings and automated emails every time. I just filled out a complaint with the BBB.<br>

Good news is that recently I switched to Zenfolio and absolutely LOVE it! They use a much better lab (MPix Pro), have larger proofs, and you can request a payment check at absolutely any time and it is guaranteed within 3 to 5 business days... or you can link it to your Paypal account so as soon as an order is processed, you have the money!<br>

I've heard decent things about Smug Mug also. I think it is very similar to Printroom but their payments are on time. I just love the Zenfolio layouts and freedom to add more text, drop down menus, a blog, etc. My best advice at this point is anything that pays you on time will be better than Printroom! :)</p>

<p>Talked this morning to Kylie Sachs of "Ascend", Printooms' financial backers in New York. She said Printroom was not contemplating bankruptcy, and would be contacting me today about payment. So far nothing. I have filed a complaint with the US government FBI Fraud site. If they get enough complaints, they will investigate Printroom. My good friend, an investigator in the US Govenrment, gave me this advice. I encourage everyone to do this and file with the BBB and California atorney Generals office. Class action lawyers look at these sites for possible lawsuites, but they need the numbers of complaints to grow to be interested. I also spoke to a lawyer this morning, because Printroom is not only breaking a financial contract with me, they are selling my copyright images without my permission to keep all the profits. I have the Pro level membership and have gotten good service until last fall. I do not have good feelings about this company, after talking to an attorney, so we need to be pro active. I have been in this business for 30 years and never gotten this kind of run around. Good luck to all.</p>

<p>What do you know I google "Alternatives to printroom" and this forum shows up! I've been with Printroom for awhile...seen glitches here and there and I've read about every post in the forum (dating back a couple of years) and I've been so fired up. I'm curious to see what goes down with Paulie Smith's Post above?<br>

I still haven't received my profit check from DECEMBER! There excuses are amazing, how can anyone run a business like this. I can't afford to work for free and pay them for something I should have been paid for Months ago.<br>

If anyone has any resolutions let me know, but thanks for posting some alternatives. I will look at Digilabs, etc. I was on Pictage at one point but that was more money and headache then it was worth as well.<br>

I wish everyone luck!</p>

<p>After I filed a complaint with the BBB last week I wrote an email to Printroom saying I had filed with the BBB and if I didn't see a check by the end of this week I would also be contacting my attorney. I got a check in the mail yesterday.... but it only paid me thru December (better than nothing, but still 2 months behind). I had threatened an attorney before and it didn't make a difference, so maybe when the BBB contacted them it helped? I dont know, but it's free and easy to do and might be worth your time! You can do the whole thing online.<br>

As for other reccomendations, I love my new Zenfolio website for my event photography ($100/year). My portrait website is now thru pro photo blogs and shopping cart thru photocart (Total of the site and cart are around $400 1-time fee, and it has been worth every penny!)</p>