Wedding Photography Etiquette

richardsnow

<p>@ RT</p>

<p>I wouldn't be surprised if you aren't the only one curious.</p>

<p>I am currently in a legal battle with the wedding photographer I hired for my wedding. Out of the 800 +/- photos she provided us with, there were none that I would consider of professional quality, or for that matter usable. (e.g.: blown out whites, poor use of flash, out of focus photos, etc.) I tried to settle out of court, but she had no intention of meeting with either my wife or myself to try and settle things.</p>

<p>If you would like further details, I will email them to you</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>What I got at the wedding was a photographer that had 1 Sigma SD14 body, one kit-type zoom lens, and a flashgun she didn't know how to use.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>You got a total amateur with a junk camera, sorry to say. :(<br>

That SD14 is only 4 MP. It's as far from a pro camera as they get with a very small sensor. You were punk'd.</p>

<p>Best of luck Richard. I'd recommend you avail service from this forum to shoot her wedding. Known quantity and quality on this forum.</p>

<p>of course it would be rude to interfere with their stagings and their equipment and time - but I'd say you're free to roam about and shoot "what's available" on a strictly-off-to-the-side (even better in an other area) basis .<br>

other than that, I wouldn't worry about anything. wedding photographers are used to (should be used to) lots of other people taking pictures. </p>

<p>Okay gang, as a former Bella photographer, and it doesn't sound like them-they don't do music.<br>

Here are some basics, whether it is Bella, the Pros, Candid Image, or any kind of big "one stop shop" for all the vendors.<br>

All of them discourage any contact with the client up until 4 weeks from the wedding date. <br>

Reasons being<br>

1. If there is a last minute change, the client isn't hooked to the other photographer<br>

2. The photographer can't snake the client from the company<br>

3. The main company, which may want after sales, doesn't want the photographer to make a strong connection to the client and get those pics.<br>

So the likely scenario is that the SIL of Richard doesn't have a name, and more than likely, the sales person who signed them up doesn't work for the company anymore. Also very likely, the salesperson promised the sun moon and stars about the photography. All of these companies are legit, but they are essentially shoot and burn, they hire a bunch of part time photogs looking to cut their teeth (like me) some move on to full blown pro (hey! like me) others use it as beer money. Most are conscientious photographers albeit with little experience...I apprenticed for an excellent photographer so I had much, I just wanted to get out there. They do a modest amount of post-nothing a pro would consider adequate, and try to upsell an album. They are not interested in prints per se, but do offer them (they use pictage as their medium)<br>

With the places I worked, there is very very little instruction about how to deal with the amateur backups, friends of the family or not. So here is part of the hit or miss with the photographer. Short answer, the contract with Bella, I don't know about the others, allow the client to cancel within 30 days of their event at 100% compensation...at least it was in 2008, so the client can move to another photographer at no penalty.</p>

<p>Beyond this element of the "other" photographer, you ask about photographing backup, specifically the great shot areas. I would let the bride and groom know and have them include this to the pro in their shot list ahead of time. Every time I photograph there are always a few people who say that I should photograph this or that. However anything that involves me taking the couple away from their party and celebration I have to think twice about before I do it on the fly. If they are good with it, I'm ready to rock and thank you for the idea. If they are kind of "...eh.." then I let it sit, which should be taken by the other photographer to be...no more pictures.</p>

<p>To bring my personal experience, I was shooting my own event (not Bella) and a family friend who took pictures part time of babies, was at the wedding and had all these places scouted out ahead of time for me. I thanked her for her insight but photographed what I thought was much more attractive and tried on occasion to get the other photog involved peripherally. The problem was, this family member spent the entire wedding directing the couple to sit here, pose like this or that, I asked her to just enjoy the wedding and let me take the pics, but after the first dance she was at it again. I notice that every couple has a threshold, or limit. I call it "Photo-fatigue" once that threshold is reached....that's it, no more pictures, no more time, the couple wants to...correctly IMHO, enjoy their wedding, not pose for every picture the photographer/artiste (said sarcastically) wishes to create.</p>

<p>So in short, use that 70-200mm and get the reaction shots, stay behind the pro every step of the way, do not worry about introducing yourself, your a guest you don't have to...and if they are a pro they'll take it as part of the scenery...I do, and everyone here does, you have an advantage over the "Uncle Bob's" and get great pictures for the couple</p>

<p>As for your selection of the wedding photographer, I just don't know how you could have been misled as much as you were, short of them just lying outright about their equipment. Yikes.<br>

I'll speak for the whole forum and say "We Want a FOLLOW UP!!!"<br>

cheers,<br>

Daniel</p>

<p>@Daniel</p>

<p>Thanks for the insight into how some of the big all-in-one wedding houses work. I expected to get a "turning pro, but don't have a great portfolio" photog. As for the follow up, I think I'll start another thread regarding my wedding photography nightmare, complete with some examples.</p>

<p>@Craig</p>

<p>If I wasn't asked to shoot, I still would have had, at a minimum, my D90 and 2 fast primes. I don't shoot flash much as I have little experience with it and don't have the practice or a big flashgun (I do have a SB400 for family gatherings). </p>

<p>As for my SIL cancelling, I don't believe her deposit is refundable. I wouldn't take money from her anyway as I don't do this for a living, it's a hobby...</p>

<p>I think I will bring my equipment, and stay away from the photog. I'm more comfortable shooting PJ style anyway, so that's what I will aim to do...like others have suggested, think "second shooter", not "backup"</p>

<p>Richard--I'd like to remind you that photo.net guidelines prohibit posting of any image that you didn't shoot yourself. So posting the other photographer's work is prohibited, even though you own printing or publishing rights to the images. I would also caution you to omit naming the photographer, particularly since you are involved in a legal suit. Posting images and names may hurt your case.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I will not be using a flashgun unless it is overcast as it is scheduled as an outdoor wedding. The reception hall is also well lit by natural light. (I shot my brother's wedding at this location)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's more important to use a flash on sunny days to provide fill light. Use TTL/BL/FP mode, direct flash, good excuse to buy an SB-900 ;-) When it's cloudy, the outdoor light is more diffuse and shadows aren't as much as a problem.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Tom,</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice. What I meant by that quote is "indoor flash" due to overcast conditions not allowing enough natural light into the hall. Outdoors, I have decided that I will not be shooting the formals, (as the B&G have hired a pro to do this), and should be far enough away from the B&G during the ceremony that flash would not matter. If I'm wrong about this, (and I will know once I can get to the wedding site this spring), then I may consider purchasing a higher power flashgun (SB-900? Maybe...).</p>

<p>Richard,</p>

<p>I would speak to your SIL about how involved she would like you to be. Probably the best thing would be for you to just stay in the background and shoot away what you can but also to have perhaps 15 mins with the B&G for portraits during the formal photography session. That's the MO I'd want if I was asked by a relative/friend to provide back up. Your SIL should then inform the Pro Photog that this will be occurring and arrange for introductions so that he/she knows who you are.</p>

<p>Just my 2c</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm an open minded and often very easy going photographer...<br>

BUT, when I'm the event photographer, I always ask if there are going to be any others assigned...<br>

If there is to be another shooter, then I am out. <br>

There is a certain creative energy that I tap into and I have my own connection with my subject(s), having another portraitist on site, sharing time and location with me just takes the wind out of my sails. <br>

For me anyway, it's all or nothing. Nothing worse than to have the subjects all placed and then have their faces turn to another person with a camera... you know "just for a second"...<br>

I dislike shooting weddings, but seem to shoot several a month... being asked if a skilled relative could shoot along side or share the event as a second? Well, that would be a show stopper.<br>

I like people, but weddings are intimate and not the place to be sharing the field. On the flip side, I've covered sports events where PJ's I know have gone back to back to me while we share prime locations only credentialed photographers can get to... totally different situation.<br>

On the flip side? If someone asked me, as a relative, to bring my gear to an event where a professional had been hired? I'd politely decline. I don't like to steal anyone's thunder. Who wants to "work" at a family event anyway? <br>

As it is... as soon as I get my people/subjects where I want them... everyone with a cell phone or cool pix camera wants to shoot it after me.. that's fine... just let me do what I want to do first (';') I'll be out of the way.... <br>

If you were the primary shooter... what would YOU think? <br>

I was the photographer at two of my sister's weddings... in retrospect, I wish I'd simply been a "guest". They love that I was the photographer though... added to the memories.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"If there is to be another shooter, then I am out."</p>

<p> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree that there has to be only one official photographer. But a second shooter can do what I suggested and just be in the background. The second shooter doesn't need to get group shots. There is NOTHING worse than trying to get group shots with other people shooting. You have half the subjects looking at one camera, half looking at another, and all sporting a confused expression. IMO the second shooter is just someone with a decent camera who knows how to take good pictures and so snaps off a few throughout the day plus has a quick 15 mins with the B&G half way through the formal session - which would give the main photog a welcome break to chimp/rest/refresh their ideas/whatever.</p>

<p>Recently I pretty much did this myself unofficially, without the B&G even knowing I was doing it, and I got the money shot of the day without even having my 15 mins alone with the B&G. It was my picture the bride used on her thank you cards :-)</p>