NEF's Archive

guigaro_georgio

<p>

<p>Hello! I want to find out is there any software which could store an archive of images already burned on dvd?<br>

For example : I have many shots in folders, sub-folders in NEF format, I put them on dvd and after that on pc I run some "magic" program which makes small jpg previews of my NEF's and then<strong> </strong><strong>store</strong> those preview's on hdd. I have 50 dvd's with Nef's for now.<br>

The main point is to use photo archive on different PC's without putting dvd's in pc. Any recommendation?</p>

</p>

<p>Large capacity external disk drives are very, very inexpensive now. Just copy that entire directory structure onto an external drive for backup, and then use another drive for redundant backup. You can get hundreds of gigabytes of storage for very little money, these days. Don't trust those DVDs to be the only place where you have extra copies of your data.</p>

<p>Adobe Bridge on PC or Aperture on the MAC? Or perhaps even a simple program like ACDSee or Irfanview can do a batch conversion to thumbnail. They don't take over the exact folder structure though.<br>

But the folder structure can be taken over by the good old xcopy command at the command prompt: xcopy E: C: /T /E . The /T makes sure the directory structure only is copied. /E also copies empty folders in the structure.</p>

<p>If you want a thumbnail overview of your shots from DVD, you couldn't save them anyhow on the already burned and closed DVD. Just do a full conversion of what's on the DVD's into the same folder structure on your PC.</p>

<p>And yes Matt is right, if the DVD's are the only place where you have all your NEF's... Not safe. They get old over time and at some point they won't work anymore. I use two external harddisks that make exact copies of one another the whole time. When I go away for a longer time, I keep one in my house and one in a friend's house.</p>