Pricing shots for advertising pamphlets?

kvon

<p>Hello,<br>

Looking for info for a total newbie to the business of photography... Just arranged a deal to hang a nice canvas print in the gift shop at the B&B on whose property it was shot - to sell on consignment. The innkeeper asked me off-the-cuff if I'd be interested in getting some shots of their "manor house" for them to use in some advertising - either printed brochures, or DVD slide shows or both. Kinda caught me off guard, but I said sure. Totally new situation for me, didn't do any written contracts or agreements, but we did agree that he'd buy the shots from me if he likes what he sees. I have the shots ready to go now, and absolutely no clue as to how to price them. I'm thinking that I would probably deliver a full-resolution digital copy of whatever shots he wants - but how do you price such a thing? For something this informal (i.e. verbal agreement), I'm thinking of a "per-shot" price. But any feedback would be welcome....<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>The way most images like this are licensed is based on the size of the image, the type of use (advertising), and the distribution quantity. The client should establish how many prints will be required, and you would charge a fee based on that number. Your contract will reference this quantity and if they ever decide to distribute more than your contract allows you are entitled to additional compensation. If they ask for exclusive use of the image, that bumps the price up significantly since you cannot sell it for any other purpose (editorial/magazines/books/etc). Do a Google search for stock photo price calculators to get some general numbers. <a href="http://www.photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm">Here's one.</a> But in the end, what you charge is up to you. </p>

<p>Thanks for the info Luay -- It sounds like maybe I'm doing this differently than is customary... There's been no talk about what specifically he'll do with the image(s) - size, how many, distribution, etc. The agreement was that I'd deliver a full-res digital copy for his unlimited use. Is that a no-no? And/or what are the pricing guidelines, or price range for that? I checked out the price calculator you linked to, it doesn't really seem to cover this situation.<br>

Thanks again!</p>

<p>Karl:<br /> <br /> Personally I don't offer "all rights forever" unless they're prepared to pay through the nose. But, if you look at high-res RF (Royalty Free) at some of the bigger/better stock agencies such as Corbis, Getty, Alamy et al, you'll find that these prices typically range from $350 to $800/image.<br /> <br /> That's just a guide though. In the end pricing is entirely up to you. Before you settle on a price figure out what your cost of doing business is. Add up what health insurance, equipment insurance, liability insurance, buying and maintaining camera gear, buying and maintaining computers and software, paying yourself a salary, paying all applicable taxes as well as Social Security (assuming you're in the US), saving for retirement, advertising etc per year. Then divide by how many days you want to work in a year and you'll arrive at a figure of what it costs you per day to be and stay in business. Look at the project as far as shooting, post production, printing, any costs involved etc, and price accordingly.</p>