quality of 3 chip video lenses at telephoto end

ian_swarbrick

I only have experience in still photography. I want to shoot wildlife

with a video camera roughly at the 35mm equivalent of a 500mm lens.

With zoom lenses on still cameras, image quality suffers at the full

telephoto end. Does this happen and to what extent with some of the

video zoom lenses-e.g. for the Sony VX 2000? I am interested in the 3

chip cameras mainly.

Your interest in 3-CCD cameras is a definite advantage, but you must also consider that camera's such as the Sony VX-2000 and the PD-150 have a fixed lens, and as far as I can tell, their zoom range does not come as close as a 500mm photographic lens.

The only 3-CCD prosumer camera with an interchangeable lens is the slightly-dated Canon XL-1S, though it's lens range is very limited.

As for quality loss at the end of the zoom range, I'm not too sure if the results are noticeable on a TV screen due to their low resolution and strong luminance, but watch out for camera-shake - A high quality tripod and an optical stabiliser should help minimise any problems.

I recommend you shop carefully, and try each product to ensure that the end result is satisfactory to your own standards.

Hope that helps,

-Matt :)

The JVC GY-DV500U..prosumer camera has 3 1/2in CCD`s and will use interchangable lens,but you would have to use the lens at the 2X extender position,, which as Matt described will definitely be a bit shaky.When I use a 2x on my camera with a very good pro head and tripod/Vinten.. I cant even breathe near the camera if it is at max focal length(255mm with 2/3 inch chips) and the 2x is on, then try and do a move with that much lens and it is very diffucult.The image holds up fine at 2x but I do loose 1 stop of light.Check out the JVC they also have a 19:1 lens that might work(6.5 to 123mm) ,to convert the 1/2inch chip size lens to 35mm lens go to this link:

http://www.subtechnique.com/navitar/cctvgen.htm

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/jvchome1.html

http://dv411.com/s19x65b12u.html

The simple Canon GL-1 has a very capable telephoto end on its zoom. It goes out optically to the 35mm equivalent of about 800 mm. It uses an advanced glass formulation to mitigate some of the problems that come about in long telephotos. And it is a 3 CCD camera.

I have used mine to capture nealry full frame single animal images at distances of up to 100 yards, with good results. The optical image stabilization program is also exceptional, although at full zoom, you have to really work at hand holding, even with the stabilizer turned on. It is a challenge, but a challenge that even my tired old hands can meet most of the time.