Scanning problems with the Nikon super soolscan 4000ED on Mac OSX

<p>I just borrowed the Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED from a friend to scan my black and white negs.<br>

I have a 3/4 year old Mac Book Pro with intel chips, I found the "Nikon Scan 4" Software on the Nikon site and installed it.<br>

The problem is two fold, 1: when I open the software the Tool Palette opens up but all the setting and options are faded grey and I cannot change, set or alter them at all....<br>

2: when I turn on the scanner and connect with via firewire I insert the negatives into the scanner with the negative holder FH-3 and it sounds as tho it is calibrating and focusing and makes the standard sounds but nothing happens.....<br>

Nothing happens with the software on the screen and Im at a loss as to what to do....<br>

If anyone has had a similar problem and found out how to correct it I would appreciate any help.</p>

<p>Farris</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Here's the product specs and the operating manual.<br>

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/archives/scanner/scoolscan_4000/index.htm<br>

http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13948/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL2RCUjhnRVVq#Anchor-2821<br>

From your description the tool palette under view comes up and is grey. Under tools you should see the Nikon 4000 scanner. If this window doesn't show up then you are not connected. Your computer is not seeing the scanner. Your system OS X software and computer hardware should run with the current Nikon scan software based on what you've described and installed.<br>

1. check the cable. do you have the right one?<br>

2. unplug the cable and insert again.<br>

3. turn off the scanner<br>

4. close the program and restart the scan software.<br>

5. the ready light should not or should stop blinking before you will see the needed Nikon 4000 scanner window. You scan from this window. The palette is for adjustments.<br>

Good luck. The scanner is really wonderful when it works.</p>