Photography as Relaxation Therapy

graham_martin2

<p>Yesterday afternoon I took my trusty old 500 c/m and lenses and went out into the farming communities that are within a few miles of my house. There has to be some therapeutic benefit to being out there just for the pure pleasure of it without any pressure to get the shot exactly 100% right. Since I was on country roads I could stop pretty much anywhere I wanted, and whenever something caught my attention.</p>

<p>At one stop, I was taking some pictures of the converging lines of a recently ploughed field when I saw an egret atop one of the ridges. I carried by camera and tripod over while he just stood there and watched me. After 3 or 4 shots of the egret standing there doing nothing I started hoping that he would fly off so that I could catch him in flight. After another five minutes of looking at each other I decided to move on. It wasn't until I started to drive off that he decided to fly away with, I am sure, a big smile on his face.<br>

Then I found a cabbage farm and made up my own little story showing a field lying fallow, another with cabbages waiting to be picked, and then a farm tractor and trailer behind it full of cabbages.</p>

<p>I became so totally absorbed in what I was doing that all of everyday's cares and worries just seemed to slip away. Those two hours did more good for me mentally than a shrink could ever have done. It's amazing at just how much more relaxing it was for me to be doing everything manually as opposed to using one of my DSLRs which does so much of the work for you. That's not to say that I don't benefit hugely at times from that kind of speed, but yesterday was a lazy Sunday afternoon and the Hassy (or is it "Hassie") was just what the doctor ordered. I'm sure any other totally manual system would have accomplished the same.<br>

p.s. Since I was shooting 160 speed film, and it was a sunny day I was able to prove to myself that the Sunny 16 rule really does work!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've come to view my camera as a passport of sorts. Though I've always loved the quiet of the countryside and taken the time to notice what's around me, with a camera I'm no longer just an observer - it's more <em>on the record</em>. Not only do I notice more, but anyone who sees me allows me to do my thing because they can instantly see that I'm a photographer, with a purpose, and not a simple trespasser. </p>

<p>There is no place I would rather be than in the countryside, catching a sunset...</p>

<p>There is an old saying that you will never see a Harley parked outside of a shrinks office. I am thinking we could expand that to include a hobbiest photographer's car as well. In my case I load the camera on the back of the Harley and have the best of both worlds. </p>

<p>What me worry!</p>

<p>Graham -</p>

<p>Very nice post, reading through it recalls for me the many enjoyable times I've had just being "out there." I live in Oregon, so many wonderful places to experience and quite nearby as a bonus. Ocean beaches, mountains, farmland, high desert, etc, all within a two-three hour drive. Now retired for thirteen years I have used that time to good advantage, many rewarding and peaceful hours have been spent engaged in an activity that I have so enjoyed, for so long.</p>

<p>My small collection of classics, 4X5, Rollei tlr's, 500CM, M-6, Retina IIa and such, so fully engage my attention while using them. Then the time spent waiting for that optimal light, clouds to clear or fog to lift, makes for simply kicking back, listening and seeing with the eyes, that which I want to photograph. Seeing the prints afterward, brings back the feelings enjoyed while having been at the site.</p>

<p>If out with the F-100, D-70 or some other auto everything, I might not even bother to shut off the cars engine, just grab the shot and move on. For me the setup, camera controls, light meter and other requirements, make for slowing down and taking the time to experience more of the pleasures the location has to offer. Something positive to be said, for a person to enjoy the benefits of a slower pace. The relaxation resulting from that activity is indeed therapeutic, at least for me. </p>

<p>I hope you will post some of the shots, and that the good ol' sunny sixteen worked perfectly for you. Thanks again.</p>

<p>Patrick </p>

<p>Thanks Patrick and others. It's nice to see that others feel the same way as I do. I should get the pictures back by the end of the week, and I will post some of them here. Since I do not develop my own film, these few extra days of waiting to see the results somehow seem to extend that enjoyment. Just more slowing down in the process as compared to the instant digital picture or the one hour photo lab when using C41.</p>

<p>Graham,</p>

<p>I could not agree with you more. Activities which seem the most pleasant to me are those that require a high level of concentration and require my full attention while being "in the moment". That photography also requires higher-order abstract reasoning doesn't hurt in the least. E.g.: thought process goes like this: "exposure to EV11.5, okay...shutter speed to 1/30th...If I'm going to hand-hold I will have to brace carefully or get out the tripod...If I move in a bit closer I can remove that distracting dead branch on that bush, but the perspective isn't quite right then with distant mountains...dang, wrong lens, need the 50mm, set the EV again...unless I use this other bush on the edge of the frame...and...ahhh, yessss...brace on this well placed rock...and breath control...pre-release mirror...KA-FLOP...gently now, breath, exhale and hold..." klik "... OKAY! Now, another for good measure...wind...expose...and DONE. Fold down the waist level, back in the bag...zip closed..."</p>

<p>It has been a while since I exposed silver-halide crystals to sunlight... Something to do this coming weekend... Thanks for the reminder Graham!</p>

<p>Al Bowers</p>