Sears TLS: Black is Back!

<p>If a lens is not marked Tomioka or Yashinon, a claim that it was made or designed by Tomioka needs credible evidence to back it up. There are many urban legends that "everybody knows". Sometimes the same lens that resembles a Tomioka also resembles one made elsewhere (e.g. at the Mamiya or Tokyo Koki = Tokina plant). Many of the older Japanese lens designs are traceable to Zeiss or other German lensmakers.</p>

Wow Great Post and great camera!! I'm very impressed! Like the others I'm green with envy! Did you get the complete outfit all at once? or did you gather the lenses over time. The photo of the camera seems to show an excellent condition! Like many I think the portrait was excellent! I liked the tubs a lot too! I was mystified by the

flowers with the CO2 bubbles are they done sumbmerged? Very cool! Are all of these models in rock-n-roll black or is this available in chrome too?

<p><strong>Thank you</strong> all for the kind comments, questions and contributions.<br>

<strong>Les</strong>-Fuji Superia 400 film is used<br>

<strong>Adam</strong>- I like the Pentax Spotmatic F, Yashica TL-Super and Ricoh Singlex II<br>

<strong>Gene</strong>- Thanks for the link, nice pics!<br>

<strong>Russ</strong>- Good score on that lens. Angela was lit by bouncing a strobe on the wall to the left of the subject. I'm glad you picked up on the vintage look, that was what I was going for. She had that beautiful vintage dress and the location was an old library built in the early 1940's. The lens did it's job and I desaturated the image very slightly to enhance the vintage effect.<br>

<strong>Bob</strong>- Thanks for your comments</p>

<blockquote>

<p>a claim that it was made or designed by Tomioka needs credible evidence to back it up</p>

</blockquote>

<p> I cannot provide any physical evidence like optical plans or corporate agreement documents or if any even exist.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Many of the older Japanese lens designs are traceable to Zeiss or other German lensmakers.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't doubt it. My understanding is that is most Japanese lens makers started out copying German designs. If you or any other optical historians in the group would like to contribute more information on this subject, please do. It would make an interesting post. <br>

<strong>Chuck</strong>- Yes, the flowers are in a small rectagular vase filled with club soda. You have to weight the stems down with something heavy or else they float to the top. I used colored paper for the background. I cleaned up other bubbles and flaws in the glass in post. The Sears TLS came in both chrome and black versions. Some very early ones I've seen are badged SEARS on the front nameplate instead of the stylized initals. To my eye they look like the same camera. </p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>Louis your younger then I always pictured you!!!</p>

<p>And while you obviously have a very very well preforming Camera and lens combo there. My first SLR was this same Sears/Ricoh TLS and it was and has continued to be the single biggest POS camera purchase I ever made. And it ended up costing a High School Junior more in repair bills then film over the course of the year I tried to use it. Finally my local camera tech gave up and instead of coming out of his basement with my TLS for the 4th time he came out with a Fujica instead handed it to me and told my I had just upgraded and to never bring him another TLS.....<br>

that was in 1975 I still use the same tech and I have never once thought about talking him another TLS or any other thing close to one.<br>

After the Fujica I bought one of the first Canon AE-1's and 34 years later I still shoot Canon FD (yea I know you knew that since I am the FD forum Moderator LOL)<br>

But I am glad to see that not all TLS's were related to the one a skinny High school Junior wasted a LOT of money on.<br>

Oh and all the Sears lenses worked on the Fujica so it was a good upgrade. Since I think I had 4 lenses.</p>

<p>Very nice pics, all of them with all the lenses (28, 55, 135 and 200).<br>

I have the 135 and the 200 inTL mamiya version (1966/7). They are very similar to the vivitar 135 and 200 to exakta (1967).<br>

My mamiya (focus from 1,80 m) is enough contrast to use as everyday tele, with high tonal range and very pleasant coldest color rendering. I use it only with slides, and from F/3,5 to 11 has a great IQ. I not used wide open but I will. I'm curious about.<br>

Your portrait with the 135 posted has saturated colors and very good skin color rendition. Very sharp too. I like it as I like mine too.<br>

can you post more pics taken with the 135? If you can, thanks and if you cannot thanks anyway.<br>

Regards, Rino</p>

<p>Michael Walter wrote-<br>

"I had a Ricoh Singlex TLS when I was in Vietnam (1969). loved it. It was what got me into photography. I would love to get another one, but the availability (or lack thereof) of the mercury batteries is an issue."</p>

<p>If that is all that is holding you back Michael, go right ahead and buy one or more of these cameras and do one of the following:<br>

1) Buy a CRIS adapter which will allow you to use silver oxide cells in the camera.<br>

2) Just use zinc/air batteries (available from many camera stores and all of the mail order houses). These last 3-6 months, are a drop in substutute for a mercury battery, and are cheap.<br>

3) Have the camera recalibrated for silver oxide cells - this is an easy job for a repair shop. Then use silver oxide cells forever.<br>

I must admit that I'm not much of a fan of Ricoh products. There is much more robust gear available for next to nothing these days (Pentax Spotmatics, for example) but, of course, each to his own taste.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Louis your younger then I always pictured you!!!</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>Mark-</strong> Thanks! I guess I write older than I look :o). Sorry you had such a bad early experience with the TLS. I actually have two of these Sears black ones and both are clicking along just fine. Because my thumb gets sore about midway through a roll and the focusing screens are rather dim, I don't take them out out much except for occasional exercise. The lenses are another story. I use them a lot.<br>

And thank you for the fine job you do moderating the FD forum. The depth of your knowledge and experience with the gear has helped me greatly over the years both here and on the Yahoo FD group.<br>

<strong>Juan- </strong>Thanks for your comments. I do have other shots made with that lens but they need scanning and processing. I have a very busy week so not much play time. perhaps over the weekend I can get one posted or sent to you off list.</p>