Medium format slide projectors?

RaymondC

<p>I suppose the top dog is the Hasselblad projector: http://www99.epinions.com/review/Hasselblad_PCP_80_Slide_Projector/content_244890963588, which is 6x6 only. Then there's the dual format Rollei P66 projector and after that a slew of hand operated machines like the Rank Aldis 66 that we used at school in the swinging 'sixties. Kinderman also produced a 6x6 projector at one time that had a good reputation.</p>

<p>None of these is common in the UK but they do come up from time to time, sometimes at bargain basement prices.</p>

<p>Mamiya distributed a Procabin 67 which was a fairly basic projector that would do 6x7. Despite being basic, it still cost a lot in the US. The kings are the Goetschmann projectors, but they are vanishingly low production items, and if you want one they are basically custom order. They are still made, but they are very expensive. The basic model is over 1000 euro without a lens, and the fancier ones are up to 16,500 euro without a lens. You can buy them here: http://www.gecko-cam.de/index.php?id=73</p>

<p>edit: whoops, cross-posted with QG there...</p>

<p>And then there are the Rollei Projectors as well. <br>

The first thing you need to decide is if you are projecting up to 6 x 6 cm slides or if 6 x 7 is also needed. This will define what projector type you can use.<br>

Up to 6 x 6 cm, Hasselblad's PCP-80 (really a Zeiss Ikon) would be the best, with late Rolleis a close second. Kindermann also made/makes projectors and if you are in Germany, you might find an old CF Planet somewhere.<br>

I began with the CF Planet, but the inside was made of Plastics, which dissolved over time (it really melted away)...<br>

Then I bought an old Rollei projector, but it was so beat that it didn't really function well.<br>

Then I found a Kindermann, but it had manual advance only (I mean advancing to the next slide by hand while sitting right next to it).<br>

At last I bit the bullet and now I have a PCP-80 with two lenses. This machine is awesome and sturdy as a rock.<br>

If you also need to project 6 x 7 cm slides, you need to look at Mamiya ProCabin, Linhof projectors or Goetschmann. Most of these are manual advance only, except some very expensive and extremely bulky Goetschmanns. I have the ProCabin and am happy with it.<br>

As for the power, Medium Format projectors are quite rare. So if there is a really good one for sale, which is only made for 110 Volt, I'd buy a power converter for that machine, which will set you back less than 50 US dollars. <br>

I am German, but I live in Canada and these converters allow me to use all my stuff, which I bought before I moved over the ocean. The converters can be had with 1000 Watt and more, which is more than enough for any Medium Format projector.<br>

Christoph</p>

<p>The best 6X6 projector I know of (assuming you can find one) is a Leitz Prado Universal. I'm not too sure when these were manufactured, but I would guess late 1960's to 1970's. <br>

It's an optical and mechanical gem, but difficult to find, although I have seen one or two on ebay in the past.</p>