F-6

andy_k8

<p>I've been a Nikon user for 30 plus years. From F's to FA's and just about everything in between (except an F-3)<br>

Currently have an F-5 and a D2X (and some other bodies).<br>

I tend to lean towards slides more than the digital stuff. I just enjoy a projected image so much that it's a hard habit to break. So was Kodachrome, but that's for another topic.<br>

I'm thinking of trading in my F-5 and a couple of other bodies (and cash, of course) on an F-6. It's been hard not to pull the trigger and I'm getting kind of itchy.<br>

If anyone has an F-6, please tell me why it's better than my F-5. Speed? Metering? Menus? Build? Ease of use?, etc.<br>

Don't tell me about the weight. I love the F-5's heft.<br>

Thanks in advance,<br>

Andy</p>

<p>I used the F5 for about three years before going to the F6. Here is what I like:<br>

1) Great ergonomics - the best of any Nikon - film or digital<br>

2) Bigger and crisper viewfinder than the F5<br>

3) In manual mode the meter will show you 3 stops to either side of center, the F5 shows just 2 stops<br>

4) F6 works great with manual focus AIS lenses, the F5 only gives you spot and CW metering<br>

5) The menu system is much easier to navigate<br>

6) More AF points - just like the D2x<br>

7) Better battery life<br>

8) Smaller in size. Although, like you, I loved the F5<br>

9) Viewfinder tends to get less dust in it, as its not removable<br>

10) More refined AF and shutter. The camera is just much smoother in operation.<br>

11) With the Mb-40 the F6 will share the same battery as the D2x or D3</p>

<p>An F6 is really worth it. I have two of them. I picked up both in the used market and they are worth more than I paid today. I can't say that about my D300, etc.<br>

Best of Luck,<br>

Anthony</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ditto the above, which covers most of the important comparison points.</p>

<p>I use a D700 as well as the F6, and one of the fringe benefits is that the F6 is basically identical in all controls. (Perhaps less important for you, but quite handy for anyone who shoots film and digital side by side). It has the benefit of refined ergonomics, metering and AF over the F5, and impressive build quality and dust/weather proofing.</p>

<p>Nikon claim it's the best film camera they've ever built. I'm not going to argue with them.</p>

<p>I use F5s and F6s and depending on what I am shooting I alternate between them. The chief reason I do this is the stupid implementation of mirror lock up on the F6 (and all of Nikon's recent DSLRs too) where it is a mode rather than just a separate function. It forces you to use a cable release rather than being able to tie it in with the self timer. On the F5 MLU is a separate switch. I also think that the AF for screwdriver lenses is faster on the F5.<br>

Other than those two points the F6 is far superior and in my opinion it is the best film SLR I know of. In fact it was because of the F6 I switched to Nikon from Canon four years ago even though in the digital world they were still backwards compared to Canon.</p>

<p><em>It forces you to use a cable release rather than being able to tie it in with the self timer.</em></p>

<p>I haven't tested this with film yet, but the documentation for the camera states that the shutter will fire after 30<em> sec</em> in ML mode. And it worked for me that way without film loaded...<em> </em> It does of course require some different expectations in that situation.</p>

<p>I quite liked the idea that it comes with a databack, although the MV-1 card reader to offloaded the shooting data is an extra purchase item.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input.<br>

Granted, the F-5 is a battery eater. The better battery life is a bonus. If I get the F-6, I'll grab an MB-40 to give it some bulk and for the fast firing rate.<br>

But, tell me how is the metering better than the F-5's.<br>

I shoot action mostly in various and sometimes difficult lighting. The F-5 has been almost uncanny in rendering the correct exposure. Sometimes it's scary how the camera and my mind differ on what "we" think are the proper settings. At last I gave up and let the F-5 do it's thing.<br>

Andy</p>

<p>Another advantage of the F6 is its ability to use the new CLS flash system from Nikon (iTTL). I believe this is the only film camera capable of using it. <br>

Regarding Mirror lock up, it is true that the shutter will fire after 30 seconds if you don´t press the shutter again after mirror lock up, but it is not very practical and not the intended use.<br>

It is better to use a cable release. Later digital bodies included a release delay to help on this.</p>