Kit lens for an EOS 1D Mk I

israel

<p>l recently bought my dream camera - an EOS1d Mk l with an ef 100/2 lens.</p>

<p>As you know its 4mp sensor means l must shoot tight every time. l was wondering what you would recommend as a 'kit' lens? Would it ever make sense to shoot below 70mm?</p>

<p>Budget: I'm hoping to have around $1000 US in a couple of months and also want to get a 270EX flash</p>

<p>Here's a <a href="http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7tAJV7yzhek/S2VI0RQYD2I/AAAAAAAAACE/k3d7srVkzLA/s1600-h/Multimatics.jpg">link to my blog</a> to see the kind of shots l take (just made a quick collage; unedited from a recent shoot).</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>A 17-40mm or a 16-35mm are other possibilities for an APS-H (28.7 x 19.1 mm) sensor camera. The 24-105mm is a great lens, but a little long by modern standards (only 30mm equivalent) on the short end. It would depend on whether you do more tele or wide-angle work by preference.</p>

<p>Congradulations. You have a great rugged pro camera. As an earlier 1D model Canon wasn't as focussed on high ISO images so I'd recommend whatever lens you get try to get as fast a lens as possible (I second the 24-70). Here is a link to a comprehensive test of the 1D:<br>

<a href="http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/equipment/Canon_EOS_1D/Canon_1D_review.html">http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/equipment/Canon_EOS_1D/Canon_1D_review.html</a></p>

<p>Hi Russ,</p>

<p>I have owned for years, and still use, my 1D. I am obviously a much wider guy than you, I use a 24-70 on ff so the logical lens for me on the 1.3 was a 16-35. I grew up on slide film so cropping etc was always a bit foreign to me, like you say you have to use all those pixels.</p>

<p>One really nice thing to do with it is B&W portraits at 800iso, very high speed film like.</p>

<p>Anyway welcome to the club and glad you are happy, Scott.</p>

<p>thank you for the feedback.</p>

<p>Peter. I am leaning towards "L" glass and the 24-105 is on my list. Partly because of its size and weight in addition to all the good things.</p>

<p>JDM, Im not too worried about the wide end. I have borrowed two other lenses since my purchase: Tokina 19-35 & a Canon 38-76 and image quality aside they do give me an idea as to focal length preference: I really like the 76mm side of things as it appears to me to be close to what I see when I'm not behind the camera.</p>

<p>Thank you Steven! It's a good camera. Funny how the reasons I enjoy it now are completely different to what they were when it was only a dream: I'm really enjoying the colour straight out of the camera and I like the heft and weight. You are right about getting a faster lens though; the EF 100/2 is just great. Doesn't hunt for focus and it just gets the job done. I do think, however, it is a bit long sometimes.</p>

<p>Many of you have mentioned the 24-70 which Id consider but as I am buying outside of the US (in South Africa) I can tell you the lens would be closer to $2k. Which is fine, it would take me longer to get there though ;-) Clearly it's not a lens for sissies; Im just hoping I can pick it all up!</p>

<p>Scott, the last time I shot FF was on 35mm. Which is a good indicator as to where my preferences used to lie: Nikon E-series 50mm and 75-150. If I divide these numbers by 1.3, would make it around 38mm & 58-115mm. I guess a 35mm prime would fill the "wide" gap; but what modern zoom starts around 58mm?</p>

<p>I agree with you about the high-speed film look at 800iso. It's really nice.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ah the true Achilles heel of the 1.3 crop, lens comparability. It is the main reason I have dropped the 1.3 for all but semi-retired backup duties. It is such a shame Canon have never addressed one or two of the awkward focal length misalignments.</p>

<p>But they are great cameras and very good value now.</p>

<p>Agreed Scott.</p>

<p>Well my plan forward is to actually walk into a retailer and check out those 2 L lenses. I did have a realisation that for less than the price of one of the above I could pick up a 28-75 Tamron and the 70-200/4 L; but either way I need to see how they all perform.</p>

<p>Budget-wise I'm looking at a June purchase; in time for the World Cup Soccer.</p>

<p>Thanks for the chat.</p>

<p>R.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Brian</p>

<p>I think the 100/2 is perhaps too close a focal length to the 85mm to warrant a purchase. I could be wrong though; and the 50mm on a 1.3 crop averages out at 65mm - a little too inbetween but Id agree it'd be a fantastic lens for a 1.6 cam.</p>

<p>that said I'd consider a 35/2 prime without hesitation or even a that EF-S 60mm lens if Canon had made it in EF-format...</p>

<p>As for the 270 EX my reasoning is that I could easily swap it between the 1D and my G9. rather than the larger 430.</p>