New 35L Lens coming?

chuck_nakell

<blockquote>

<p>Brian wrote: "Well how many shorter length lenses with IS does Canon make? Not too many."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry, I don't define photography based solely on the currently available products from the company that makes my own camera. The biggest companies often are not the technology innovators but rather technology copiers, whether we're talking swiveling SLR LCDs or dust-reduction systems or in-body IS, none of which were pioneered by Nikon or Canon but all of which may up in Canon/Nikon SLRs.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Get with the program Ralph and understand basic photography."</p>

</blockquote>

<p><em>I'm </em> not the one who needs a lesson in basic photography if <em>you</em> <strong> </strong> don't understand the simple 3-way relationship between <strong>ISO, aperture,</strong> and <strong>shutter speed.</strong> To save you time, I'll summarize how it applies to this discussion: when dealing with a relatively static subject (landscape, buildings, interiors), the ability to lower the <em>third </em> of those three factors (shutter speed) by four stops can have tremendous benefits wrt reducing noise (via a lower ISO) and/or increased dof (via a smaller aperture). This 3-way relationship applies<strong> <em>regardless of focal length.</em> <br /> </strong></p>

<p>I can't speak for anyone else, but to me 16mm qualifies as a pretty wide-angle lens (or maybe since IS was put in that lens by Nikon instead of Canon it doesn't apply to <em>real </em> photographers, all of whom use Canon?).</p>

<p>In the end it doesn't matter what you or I think, because the trend of putting IS not just in telephotos but in wider and wider lenses is pretty clear as photographers vote with their dollars for IS at all focal lengths. The only question is which wide-angle Canon will put IS in next, a 16-35 (to match Nikon) or a 24-70 (to please the pros who have been begging for such a lens). This discussion will be academic in a few years, if it isn't already!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Canon state-of-the art 85mm f2, 50mm f2, 35mm f2, 28mm f2, and 24mm f2 lenses would be my requests. Long ago I had Canon FD 24mm 2.0 and FD 28mm f2.0 lenses, as I recall, and found them to be excellent. Even better than a 50mm f2.0 would a 43mm f2.0. For me a perfect travel kit would be a trio of 24mm f2, 43mm f2, and 85mm f2 lenses along with a compact, full-frame body.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Canon state-of-the art 85mm f2, 50mm f2, 35mm f2, 28mm f2, and 24mm f2 lenses would be my requests.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree with you, but I doubt it will happen as Canon seem to be obsessed with fast lenses (shows you're a "professional"). You know you can get the Voigtlander 40/2 for EOS? That looks like a nice little lens - it is MF only though.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>Jake,</p>

<p>It isn't just me........</p>

<p><em><a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-TS-E-24mm-f-3.5-L-Tilt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx">"CA (Chromatic Aberration) is a bit of a weakness for the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L Tilt-Shift Lens - especially in the corners on a full frame body. CA becomes more noticeable as the lens is tilted/shifted." </a> </em> This relates to the MkI not the MkII.</p>

<p>Another comparison shows the <a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/lenses/ts-e_24_f35_l_ii.html">MkI weaknesses</a> . Sure if you want to spend all day making post corrections then it is usable but the MkII is way better.</p>

<p>If Canon could make the f2's a little better and charged a little more they'd make up in volume what they lose in cost of an L lens. I'm upgrading a lot of my zooms to primes (still keeping zooms) and I'm having a difficult time in the 24mm, 28mm, 35mm range. Just can't really get myself to buy the cheap ones but can't really justify the L's. Just wouldn't mind updated USM lenses with maybe a bit better optics. Seeing as they have less glass, aren't built as heavy as Ls and don't have weather resistance it should be doable. </p>