Kowa Six Repair Cost

jerry_plemons1

<p>I have recently acquired a Kowa Six which has a jammed winding mechanism. Actually, at this point, the winding knob turns freely. I have read that Ross Yerkes Camera Repair does a good job of repairing these animals. I'd like to have the camera repaired. Before I send the camera to Ross or someone else who does repair on Kowas, can anyone who has had this kind of repair done give me a ballpark cost figure?<br>

Thanks in advance for your response.<br>

Jerry</p>

<p>I owned some Kowa gear over a decade ago. At that time, having one repaired (with the symptoms you describe) cost me about US $ 150. Today, however, given the prices of used Bronica SQ gear, I would not invest in Kowa. (I traded up to Bronica SQ before the digital revolution, when used SQ prices were at least 3 times what they are today, and I never regretted the expense.)</p>

<p>Just call Ross and he'll give you an estimate over the phone. Make sure the lens self timer works, that may need servicing too. I have both a Kowa Six MM and a Bronica SQ B and if I were to list the pro and cons of each, I think the Kowa would edge out the SQ B by a hair. My Bronica will only work on Silver Oxide batteries (non functional with Alkaline) that Radio Shack does not carry. The removable film magazines on ebay are almost all junk. No flash shoe on the SQ B body to put a spirit level. On the plus side for the SQ B is the 50mm and 135mm PS lenses, outstanding!!! I find the biggest negative on the Kowa to be that I have to remove my ARCA plate to load and change film.</p>

<p>Just call Ross and he'll give you an estimate over the phone. Make sure the lens self timer works, that may need servicing too. I have both a Kowa Six MM and a Bronica SQ B and if I were to list the pro and cons of each, I think the Kowa would edge out the SQ B by a hair. My Bronica will only work on Silver Oxide batteries (non functional with Alkaline) that Radio Shack does not carry. The removable film magazines on ebay are almost all junk. No flash shoe on the SQ B body to put a spirit level. On the plus side for the SQ B is the 50mm and 135mm PS lenses, outstanding!!! I find the biggest negative on the Kowa to be that I have to remove my ARCA plate to load and change film.</p>

• 4 weeks later...