First Wedding

jocelyn_smith2

<p>Jocelyn--I would do some online research. There are sample contracts out there, and there are sample contracts in books too.</p>

<p>It is good to be confident in your gear and skills, but let me say that shooting portraits and shooting weddings, while both people oriented, are different. If you haven't shot a wedding before, you will not necessarily know the techniques needed (different than portrait photography sometimes) and mainly how to anticipate what will happen and be able to respond instantly. Time management is hugely different. Even people management may be hugely different. With all of this, you must remain calm enough to remember what you need to photograph because, for instance, once you leave the church, obviously you can't take any more photos that involve it. Say you missed an important shot, and you forget to take it right after the ceremony and then go to the reception. You've basically lost that shot. Lots of pressure.</p>

<p>I bring the above to your attention while still saying that I am neutral as to whether a person in your situation should or shouldn't shoot a wedding outside family and friends. The reason I do so is to ensure you realize the above. Also, there is one factor which is the wild card in debates about whether a photographer without a lot of experience should or shouldn't shoot a paying wedding job (non family and friends). That is the person him or herself. Some people can translate concepts from one situation to another. Some people learn very quickly. Some people have extremely good logical or intuitive skills. I believe a woman has more of a natural understanding of a the wedding process and a better idea of what might go on behind the scenes. You can't quantify these factors enough to give a definitive answer as to whether the outcome of the shoot will be successful.</p>

<p>Then the question would be, successful by whose standards? You also have to take into account the client's expectations. Wedding photographers don't like to think this way, but some people are just not that interested in the photography. Their standards of what is acceptable could be way lower. I am sure there have been many weddings shot where some things were missed or the images were not the same as you'd see from the latest trendy wedding photographers, but the big question would be--did the client care? I'm not saying you'll be producing photography at a lower standard--just using that as an example.</p>

<p>As I said above, I'd start reading the archived threads under the Newcomers section on this forum. There is a lot of good info there.</p>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I am not sure as to what you have to gain from all of this. It doesnt sound to me like a worthwhile event to gain practice as a wedding photog. This whole thing smells of cheapness and low class new-age hippy type wedding, or whatever it is they wish to call it. I'd it call it bs and a waste of time for all concerned. <br>

If you are looking to get shots from this for your wedding portfolio, guess what?! you WONT! I suggest you pass this one up for a more real and pro and traditional type of event.</p>

<p>Although I am firmly in John Deerfield's camp on this one (and similar posts) this seems like a done deal.</p>

<p>IMO you should not use a contract I use or others use. You should not download one from the internet. Go to a lawyer that has done contract law and knows how to write one for your skill level and clearly stating expectations etc. Cover your butt or you'll be in small claims court. That's a guarantee. What a bride says she wants before the wedding is not what she expects after wards. The photography is one thing that the couple will either hate or cherish for a lifetime. </p>

<p>As for gear, keep it as simple as possible. You've been given some good lens suggestions but don't make the mistake of carrying 4-5 lenses you've never shot with. You'd be better off with 3 that you know how to use. Get the flash early and learn how to use it. Do not depend on the auto settings. Learn how to use that flash in full manual as well. Practice a lot before the first wedding so you can actually learn something there, which you won't if you're trying to figure out what setting to use while the action passes you by.</p>

<p>Same for your shot list. Keep it simple. Have a short list of "Must Have" shots for each part of the day. Brides home, Service, formals, reception. Going out and trying to replicate the 80 great shots you see in wedding galleries is not possible. Have 3 or 4 key shots/poses memorized for each section of the day that you need to get. You are far better off providing them with 100 good photos than 300 crappy ones. The day moves fast, the lighting sucks, people don't cooperate and it's a very fluid day that often follows the cliche "what can go wrong, will go wrong". You will never remember the big shot list you wanted to get if it's too complicated.</p>

<p>2 reminders to the couple. When they take the first kiss, tell them ahead of time to take their time. They want that shot in the album but often kiss so fast you miss the shot. Same for the walk up and down the aisle. Have them take their time so you can get decent shots.</p>

<p>Have backups for the wedding. An absolute must in my kit is, duplicates of the primary camera body and primary lenses. So I'll have 2 complete kits with me and a spare 3rd body in the trunk of the car. That includes flashes.</p>

<p>Finally go to each location a few days before and do some test shooting (that means all the locations for that day). Pick all your locations for formal photos, take a friend to model for you and do test shooting at each spot around the same time of day when you'll be doing the wedding. <strong>You are studying for an exam and skipped all the classes.</strong> Treat it that way or you'll be in trouble.</p>

<p>I hope, more for the couples sake and also for you that this turns out well. Please share your results/experiences after it's done.</p>

<p>After it's all over. Don't take another wedding as primary shooter till you've done at least 10 as a second shooter. Get some experience and work with a pro even if for free. This will also help you build a portfolio and be better prepared when you are ready to do weddings on your own.</p>

• 2 weeks later...