New York Int'l Auto Show

dr._karl_hoppe

<p>I will be attending a wedding in April in NY, the same week as the New York International Auto Show is held at the Javits Convention Centre. My niece wants to attend the convention and I will accompany her. She is very much into digital, but "old" Uncle Karl wants to stick with film. I have never photographed inside a car show before. Will I be OK with at least ISO 800 film or should I go up to 1600? My widest objective is 28/2.8. I assume the 28 will be suitable on account of the close quarters, but should I take a 50 or 75/90? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>You should do very well with ISO 800 film and a 28/2,8 Karl - If it were me going to the auto show I wouldn't bring any other lenses, even if you <strong>might </strong>have use of a longer lens I dare say that being light on your feet will make your experience a more pleasurable one. I also find that when I bring a second lens along I end up changing lenses a whole lot, and that is in my mind a practice that detracts from the good fun of photographing. </p>

<p>Uncle Karl, this events are normally illuminated with several terawatt.<br>

Better than a christmas tree, at least.<br>

You should be fine with 400 ASA, 2.8 at 1/60, 1/125. C41 Superia is fine, as it handles the white balance pretty well (fourth color layer) and is cheap. Halogen (3600 K), and mercury vapor (5500K or higher) illumination will appear mixed.<br>

Take also the tiny 50 Summicron, for to make portraits of the gorgeous blonds on the hoods 8-) and don't forget to post some pics!<br>

Best,<br>

Knut</p>

<p>Thanks for your comments. I have half a brick of Kodak Portra 800 in the freezer I am going to dip into for this project, but I'm just wondering if anyone out there feels the Fuji Pro 800Z will handle the artificial light better on account of the fourth-layer feature. I've used Portra 800 in the past and been satisfied with the results, however it was not in any kind of mixed lighting situation.</p>

<p>Yeah, using color film with artificial light is going to "color" the results. Knowing the types of lights used would help some, but the old school way would be to get the light metered for temperature and then choose the right film/filter combo. Not sure if that will be practical for you at this point. Otherwise, you will have to balance it afterward in post if possible. Sometimes, the effect looks nice and I'm not sure how those 2 800 ISO films would shift, but of course it will depend on the kind of light or different kinds of lights. (may not be all one light source). B/W would solve that problem, but then you won't be able to get the color of those bathing suits:) 800 should be a decent speed.</p>

<p>Barry,</p>

<p>As I understand it, that will be my problem, not one lighting source. It will be very mixed, not just the normal overhead lighting but additional lighting of various temperatures illuminating the displays. I can always tweak things in Photoshop afterwards, but one of the reasons I still love film is that I do not relish hours in front of a computer screen manipulating things. If I get any interesting results (including those bathing suit models!), I'll post them here.</p>

<p>Dr. Hoppe,</p>

<p>Definitely go with Fuji Pro 800Z. That 4th layer stuff really makes a difference in mixed lighting venues. I've been to the Javits many times for many things. I'm not sure if the rafter lights are sodium vapor or not, but you will need something that handles the overhead light, various lighting of the cars (and models!), a lot of backlit flourescent displays and so forth. I like Portra 800, but you will be disappointed in comparison to Fuji 800Z.</p>

<p>If you have something wider than a 28, I'd use it. Space is cramped and the crowds will be insane. It will be virtually impossible to capture a car without spectators in the frame. Do take along your 50 for "close-ups" of the scantily-clad models decorating the merchandise. I know you want to travel light, but maybe nix the 50 and take your 75 along.</p>

<p>I would leave the 3E at home. I love that lens but f/4 will be too slow. Stick with a kit of 28 & 50, or 28 & 75. If you have a 24 (or wider), take it.</p>

<p>Enjoy the show, I've been there many times, the boat show too. Your biggest problem will be the crowds. I heard the new Jag XJ deluxe sedan is to die for. Post a few pics!</p>