1D4@TDP

yakim_peled1

<p>Well, my assessment exactly, even though Canon did make at least three puzzling choices:<br>

- so-so implementation of spot AF (requires a lens with AF stop buttons, i.e. only superteles qualify)<br>

- no manual gain control for audio (and no full-time audio recording, except the usual voice annotation, while shooting stills)<br>

- no clean way (such as grooves on the sides of the LCD cover for a slide-in bracket) to attach a viewer/loupe to the LCD (a must for video.)<br>

Picture quality, features and ergonomics are spot-on: no troubles switching from the Mk. III at all (except the LCD is way better and the buttons smoother.) I hope that the 1Ds "next" will follow the suit in terms of features and ergonomics.</p>

<p>DCF is diffraction cutoff frequency, the point at which diffraction makes image sharpness visibly worse at normal print sizes and viewing distances. It is sensor/film size consistent, the pixel size and pitch are not very relevant, your 300D and 7D would have the same DCF.</p>

<p>DLA is diffraction limited aperture, the point at which pixel peepers can start to see diffraction at the pixel level, or 1:1 or 100% on their screens. This is pixel size and density specific and is totally academic if you view at normal sizes either on screen or in print.</p>

<p>Now go play nicely in the road.</p>

<p>Nice description. Thanks. I had in mind something more along the lines of diffraction limit (or DCF) corrected maximum print sizes for apertures smaller than DLA. This is more relevant standing on the GC rim and choosing between absolute sharpest detail versus DoF. Usable print size is a reasonable figure of merit.</p>

<p>Sorry to hijack the thread.</p>

<p>Yakim,</p>

<p>How many 1D/1Ds MkIII's do you own? How many have you used? How many had problems before they were "fixed"? What was actually done to them when they were at Canon being fixed?</p>

<p>Don't get me wrong, Canon completely dropped the ball on this one and it was a PR disaster that only added fuel to the small fire, but the "issues" were nothing like as bad as you would think from the noises on the internet. Some photographers had issues sometimes in certain circumstances. Many more never did.</p>

<p>If you read RG's article then reading between the lines he did so much shooting even he didn't know what he was seeing! A very good reason for Canon to drop him as a beta tester. I personally think there was a quality control issue with the AF units in the factory, either the units themselves or the fitting of them, Canon took so long to come to terms with/work out/deal with this the only thing they could do to try to regain confidence was to recall, but they really didn't know why so couldn't fix anything just bring units up to a spec. I know several 1D MkIII shooters that never had problems and never sent their cameras in, but when their bodies went in for service checks or free cleaning they were "fixed".</p>

<p>The oil non issue is another headless chicken "issue". I have a 1Ds MkIII, it has oil "leakage", anybody that uses the term leakage has not seen or had the "issue", I didn't even bother mentioning it the last time it went in for work, a torn joystick seal.</p>

<p>Countless owners of MkIII's are delighted with them, many non owners love to trash talk them.</p><div>00VkDY-219617684.thumb.jpg.786bc3a538fd6f4ae69ef371c880bfbe.jpg</div>

<p>

<p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

</p>

<p> </p>

</p>

<p dir="ltr">I never owned one but that is precisely because of these problems. I played with some (good ones) and they were always a joy to use. I know several tens of photographers in Israel (mostly pros but some amateurs as well) using 1D3 and most (~60-70%) were affected by these problems. All used words I dare not print here and some (~40%) switched to Nikon because of this. They also wrote some in Israeli forums so I fail to see the difference between saying to me on a personal meeting and writing it down on the forum. I am not new to forums and there are many people in international and national forums which I respect and believe to. My fellow photographers provide me with not only enjoyable moments but valuable data as well.</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">I shoot with EOS gear for 19 years. In this time I owned tens of lenses and used pretty much every EF lens ever made (cheap consumer zooms excluded). I am an amateur but am serious about my hobby. I love the lenses, the cameras and lately learned to love the fact the EF mount is very easy to fit old manual lenses to. That said, I am not a fanboy. I have gear worth ~15K and plan to add the 100/2.8 IS next month. Therefore, the fact that I never owned one is irrelevant. It's exactly because "<em>Canon completely dropped the ball on this one</em>", as you so nicely phrased.

</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">BTW, once, and only once, I located a 1D3 for sale which I said "I'll take it". It was from a US photographer who said his cam is working fine (and yes, I believed him) but a shoulder injury forced him to sell all his heavy gear. Unfortunately, I was too late. A local buyer called him earlier. :-(</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">So I got a 7D. Not a bad cam by itself. :-)</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Happy shooting,</p>

<p dir="ltr">Yakim.</p>

<p>Yakim,</p>

<p>Interesting dichotomy,</p>

<p><em>"I never owned one but that is precisely because of these problems"</em></p>

<p><em>"I located a 1D3 for sale which I said "I'll take it"...... A local buyer called him earlier. :-(</em> <em>"</em></p>

<p>My<em> </em> comment about Canon dropping the ball was the PR debacle, not the cameras abilities. I could be wrapped up in your statistics of 60-70% as having been affected, I am far from unhappy with my camera<em>.</em> Affected in some way, however small and inconsequential, and being trashed on the internet are two very different things.<em><br /> </em></p>

<p>No dichotomy. Probably just problematic writing. Let me try again.</p>

<p>I wanted one but refrained from buying because of the problems. I wanted to buy a good copy and didn't want to test it to death. Thus I wanted to buy one from a man I trust. I found one but was too late.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>