5dII video with a wd tv live

jim_service

<p>greetings all.<br>

i have a 5dII and would like to get the hd video to an HD TV in an uncomplicated and portable way, both for my home and bringing it to friends homes.<br>

the western digital tv live seems to be ideal for this.<br>

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=735<br>

this is a newish item in the digital marketplace and doesn't even have a generic name for it yet. it is sometimes referred to as a "media player" or a "media streamer" or "video streamer". several other manufacturers also make them.<br>

the tv live supports both .mov and h.264, but often times the fine print also has invisible ink. i hate to throw money at this and not have it work. does someone else have this item and use it with the native files from the 5dII?<br>

by the way, i brought this camera to bonneville speedweek last august and had a great time.<br>

thanks.</p>

<p>Jim,</p>

<p>Check page 140 of your 5DII manual. You'll need an HDMI cable to go from the camera to the HD TV. I haven't used it for HD viewing, but according to the manual you can playback both video and photos without any other hardware. And if your computer has an HDMI-out connection, you should be able to play edited HD video from your computer to an HD TV with the same cable.</p>

<p>bill<br>

of course i am aware of that, but using my camera to play videos on a tv, both at my home and away, doesn't strike me as the best way to go.<br>

yes, my laptop has an hdmi output, but placement and control also makes that setup awkward, imho, especially if i'm bringing the setup to a friends home.<br>

i'm intrigued with the tv live because it is an appliance, there's no booting up and logging on, it's not delicate, if you drop it, it probably would not break - there's no hard drive or delicate mechanicals or optics inside, and it has a remote control. it and a big thumb drive and you're good to go. it's simple, rugged, compact and portable.<br>

and, again, the $2 question is, will it play the files from a 5dII?</p>

<p>update and resolution (for me at least)<br>

after again going over the specs, i find that this item supports mp4 h.264 1920x1080p only up to 24 fps, not 30. 1080i will go to 30.<br>

also, after looking through the wd community bulletin board..<br>

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/bd-p/tv_live<br>

i get the feeling this product is a real dog. as they say on the street, "next!"<br>

i'm hoping a few out there found this informative.</p>