Just bought a Nikon D80 with 97,000 shutter actuations!

van_do

<p>Calculate in the time you need to spend prowling ebay for a "better deal" and then waiting for that auction to end and a couple more rounds of shipping and you soon close the spread between the value of this camera and one with fewer actuations, especially considering the camera is no longer made and you won't find a virgin. I've got a Nissan with 190,000 miles and I'm not losing sleep over it.. That's a wall street guy's take, not a pro photographer...</p>

<p>thank you all for your input!! i think im going to go with the squaretrade extended warranty. itll make me feel safer when using the camera and if anything happens i will be covered and i wont be without a dslr for too long. </p>

<p>and Dieter, i see your point on saving the 50$ towards the 150$ repair if i need it but the extended warranty will cover more than just the shutter. so if anything else goes wrong ill still be covered.</p>

<p>and Douglas, i dont think that my Opanda software had an error. Elliot himself said that he reached 96k on his D3 in 1.5 years.</p>

<p>The other owner probably used a feature called "Interval Timer Photography" He could easily set the camera to shoot 2 frames a second and within 12 hours have 86,400 shutter actuations. I have shot this way before and went well over the tested cycles count. I would bet that your camera will work years after you decide to put it on the shelf and forget to use it! Don't put any more money into it and just ENJOY it. If you use it, and if you print photos, other people will get to enjoy your passion for photography. When people look at your photos, they will not care how many cycles are on your camera.</p>

<p>hey guys!! thanks for all of your input! it has really helped me a lot!<br>

and nicolaie costel, i got the 150k actuations from Nikon. I called them and thats the number they gave me, but it could be wrong.</p>

<p>and ive decided to keep the camera and to buy a warranty just in case.</p>

<p>thanks, van do</p>

<p>True as noted above, I have done a lot of "video" at 3fps on my d40, and have put more than 40k clicks on it in 11 months. To get some perspective, the one lens I use is (slightly) older than me and will go for decades to come - the d40 is just a sensor with a shelf life of a couple years. Photography is just a piece of glass and a piece of "film" right? How much is the minimum I could have spent on forty thousand exposures of film...</p>

<p>The activation number at which a shutter gives up the ghost almost certainly has a gaussian distribution aka bell shaped curve, and I doubt that a rational conservative company like Nikon would use 100, 000 as the point where 50% of the cameras had failed. It would be nice to know the standard deviation of such a curve along with mean, in which case we could estimate what odds you are facing. My advice is not to worry. If it fails soon, you can upgrade to a far superior D90, whose used prices are often reasonable. If it doesn't, then you will have ample opportunity to figure out the D80's metering flaws.</p>