looking to upgrade from a d50

chuck_fry1

<p>Hello all, Im sure this has been aske over and over but ill ask anyway..Im looking to upgrade from a

d50 was looking at the d90/d300/d300s any advantages to any of them have

had d50 since it came out and think its time to get something better. Thanks for any advice.</p>

<p>If you're interested in spending that much money, skip the cheaper upgrades (the D-50 is really quite decent and will take screw-focus autofocus lenses) and go for a lightly used D300 and then put the rest of the money into a better lens. The D300 or D300s can also meter with older AI and AIS lenses, will also work with older non-AFS lenses, and the D300 used is generally around $1100 to $1200 US. The D90 I don't know as much about, but the basic image machine is, I think, the same as in the D300/D300s. The ability to use older lenses matters to me, but might not matter to you.</p>

<p>When I did head to head shots with the D50 and the D300, the D300 was about 15 to 20% better at native ISO (200) and the D300 is considerably better at higher ISOs. Better focusing, too.</p>

<p>The IQ of the D90 and D300s is about the same. The D300s has a more rugged construction and is better sealed against the elements. The D90 is lighter, less expensive, and built to withstand the use most amateurs will give it. If you are very rough on your gear, the D300s may be for you. If not, you may be better off with a D90 and putting the money saved into lenses or other doodads.</p>

<p>I have both the D50 and the D300. I got the D50 as a backup because it can use screwdriver focus lenses. Does amost as good at higher ISOs as the D300. I use the D50 as my "take everywhere" camera. If I were you, even if you get a new camera I would hold onto the D50.</p>